PDA

View Full Version : Ever hear of this:

imported_Unreal
05-30-2004, 10:38 PM
A buddy of mine has a Chevy Avalanche he purchased it about 6 months ago and the dealer called him friday and said they have this stuff to put over the plastic trim panels to keep them from cracking, fading, or what not due to weather related causes. They want $300 to put it on. Its a brush on and let dry type thing from what he told me.

Its called Arma-Dello

Didnt know if anyone here ever heard of it or used it before or not.

du3ce
05-30-2004, 10:54 PM
hah the dealership is trying to get more money from him, he can spend the 300 bucks on something better like GAS

blue-sun
05-30-2004, 11:20 PM
did you know that for only $500 you can pay the dealership to use a $5 can of "ScotchGuard" on your interior for added protection?

Or that you can pay around $1000 for "rust proof" undercoating that comes in a can too. . .

tell your friend not to waste his time or money on that. . .

david

dcswd
05-31-2004, 12:24 AM
I must agree... dont pay the dealership to do it. If he is dead set on getting something like that done... find a different place to buy it and do it your self for a fraction of the cost.

That being said, I dont think the plasic stuff needs anything like that. Your friend should use a dressing of some form to keep it looking great, but I doubt he will need that armadillo thing.

My uncle has had a Chevy Avalanche for a few years now and the side pannels are in mint condition still.

ncal
05-31-2004, 12:31 AM
Tell your friend that you can do the same thing to his car but only for $150 haw haw

imported_Dave Holmes
05-31-2004, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by ncal

Tell your friend that you can do the same thing to his car but only for $150 haw haw

Yeah, and then use a brush to apply some Armor All or other protectant of your choosing to complete the illusion for him. This is after, of course, you had transferred the Armor All to a mason jar or something similar. Tell him it needs redone every month for optimum protection, and sell him the remainder of the jar for another $100.00.

Dave

Lemonxxs
09-29-2004, 11:31 PM
Armo dillo is for real at those prices.....

chevy has fading issue with plastic cladding...

It is release agents working there way to surface due to heat...

The armo dillo is a fix....but a pricey one for how long it lasts....

Some have it last 4 months..other have it last a few weeks....

also it is a messy process...

tell him to get some eagle 1 tire shine....or similiar product....

spray on sponge app....wipe down...let sit a bit...then buff with old terry towel....

EO will last about 4-6 weeks depending on rain, washing, and heat.....it does not run onto paint if you buff...and very cheap per application....and if you figure cost per year....it is much much cheaper then AD....as $5 will last you more then a year.....where as for AD it would be like $600.....

Good luck

Scottwax
09-29-2004, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by Dave Holmes

Yeah, and then use a brush to apply some Armor All or other protectant of your choosing to complete the illusion for him. This is after, of course, you had transferred the Armor All to a mason jar or something similar. Tell him it needs redone every month for optimum protection, and sell him the remainder of the jar for another $100.00.

Dave

There ya` go! :bow

dmatre
09-30-2004, 05:02 AM
If it were really NECESSARY to prevent fading/cracking, then Chevy would be doing this from the factory.

This is strictly ADP (additional dealer profit).

Keep up with normal maintenance of the vehicle, and if the panels fade, then go back to Chevy under warranty.

Peter Crowl
09-30-2004, 08:35 AM
Anybody know if Honda Element is having the same fading problem? Been considering one...I like them a lot...but that`s an awful lot of plastic.

Peter..in Denver

Lemonxxs
12-06-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by dmatre

If it were really NECESSARY to prevent fading/cracking, then Chevy would be doing this from the factory.

This is strictly ADP (additional dealer profit).

Keep up with normal maintenance of the vehicle, and if the panels fade, then go back to Chevy under warranty.

It is a known problem...and Chevy is offering a one time treatment of armo dillo.... under OEM warranty...after that you pay for it...

In late 2001 and early 2002 they were replacing parts...but it got expensive so they stopped...

Big Leegr
12-06-2004, 01:14 PM
I had read a post that stated the plastic cladding only had issues when petroleum distillate dressings were used on them. Once the problem occurs, there is no known permanent cure, just "touch-ups.

splattj
12-06-2004, 01:20 PM
http://www.autoint.com/tips/chevy_cladding_report.pdf