PDA

View Full Version : What does side by side comparing of carnaubas prove?

Nick T.
05-30-2004, 10:10 PM
A recent comment in another thread about Griot’s Paste Carnauba got me to thinking about wax testing and reminded my that I hadn’t played with my Griot’s purple wax for over a year - - so down to the garage I went. I put Griot’s on a small area and was pleased with the results, but digging it out made me aware of all the other carnaubas on that shelf.

Having way too much free time I decided to do a little retesting of the carnaubas. This is the wax that I played with: Pink Carnauba Griot’s Carnauba Wax Pinnacle Souverän Pinnacle Paste Glaz Zymöl Z3 Zymöl Carbon S-100 P21S Meguiar’s Gold Class Meguiar’s Mirror Glaze #26

The first comparison was the hardness of the wax in the container. Pink Carnauba was very hard; Souverän was almost as hard; Meguiar’s Gold Class and Zymöl Carbon were very soft; the others were medium hard.

Next I used a damp cotton ball (new cotton ball for each wax) with enough wax to cover a 9 square inch area following the instructions on whether to allow drying before buffing or not. I couldn’t tell any real difference in ease of application, ease of buffing, or resultant shine.

Next I used just enough wax in my finger tip (no, not a new finger for each wax - just a clean one) to cover about a 4 square inch area. Wiped the test area vertically and then horizontally until most of the residue was gone and counted the strokes. All were about the sane except the two Zymöls which needed about 50% more strokes. The surface feel of all the waxes was about the same except that Pinnacle Paste Glaz and Meguiar’s Gold Class felt and looked somewhat oily at first. Final shine was about the same for all products.

If I had been blindfolded during the wax application I don’t think that I could have discerned any differences that I haven’t listed above! All the similarity really got me to thinking. Maybe once you have a good underlying surface, the brand of carnauba doesn’t really make any difference? My test car has an excellent surface, and after finishing my playing I didn’t want to repeat it on another car. Or maybe it’s like my teenage son told me a year or so ago after he asked me why I preferred drinking milk over water. I listed all the pros for milk; nutritious, flavorful, etc. and all the cons for water including several quotes from W.C. Fields.

Jeff: That’s a pigment of your imagination.

Me: You mean figment of my imagination.

Jeff: No, I mean pigment - - your expectations color your analysis!

Me: Well, maybe you’re right.

And maybe the results of my car care product comparisons are pigments of my imagination!

Accumulator
05-31-2004, 09:22 AM
Nick T.- Heh heh, I enjoyed that post, as I always seem to. Glad you *do* have all that free time!

My "LSP difference tests" have turned out differently, however. Which I find surprising, because, believing that it`s all about prep, I`d *like* to agree with you that the LSP isn`t gonna be a big factor.

My wife has been driving silver Audis for a long time, as have I. For years, I`d play around with different LSPs (I wouldn`t tell her I used something different). Much to my surprise, she would almost *always* notice, usually right away as soon as I got the car home (I had an off-site garage back then), and she`d definitely notice by the end of one of her roadtrips. She finally decided she liked 3M Showcar Paste over Pinnacle`s (now discontinued, I bought plenty) Creme Glaze, so I just stick with that.

I use different LSPs on *my* silver Audi (same paint code), and the two cars always look like two different colors. I like mine, she likes hers.

And when I tried P21s on my Jag after *years* of Souveran, I noticed the difference right away, and so did everyone else ("why does your car look different?").

imported_gsrjedi
05-31-2004, 12:56 PM
I have thought of this point too, since the prep is so important. You might also notice a difference when the waxes have more time to cure.

Now for my newbie question (I looked but it wasn`t on the acronyms page), what`s a LSP?

imported_eggroll
05-31-2004, 01:03 PM
LSP= last step product

Pats300zx
05-31-2004, 01:16 PM
And when I tried P21s on my Jag after *years* of Souveran, I noticed the difference right away, and so did everyone else ("why does your car look different?").

Accumulator...did you mean it looked worse with the P21S as opposed to the Souveran????

imported_gsrjedi
05-31-2004, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by eggroll

LSP= last step product

Thank you, I`ve seen that a couple times and it`s been driving me crazy.

Accumulator
06-01-2004, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Pats300zx

Accumulator...did you mean it looked worse with the P21S as opposed to the Souveran????

Yep, *to me*. Note that this is eye-of-the-beholder territory. Other people liked it *better* with the P21S (but I only care about how it looks to me ;) ).

There was just a *huge* difference, really surprising- the Souveran was much darker/richer/"old school"-looking while the P21s was brighter/more reflective/more "modern"-looking. I suspect this *big* difference just a characteristic of that particular paint (ss lacquer, a metallic gray that`s sorta unique) and might have been a very *subtle* difference on another car. And for *me*, any differences between what I`m used to and something new are gonna be noticeable anyhow.

Note that I have definite preferences when it comes to matching the "look" to the car, and for me the Jag looks best with Souveran. It just works for me, what with the olde-worlde nature of the car. There are "flaws"/characteristics on that car that would never pass muster on anything today, including the sorta "blotchy" nature of the metallic SS lacquer (that was, by the looks of it, probably sprayed on a Friday afternoon or Monday morning).

ALAN81
06-01-2004, 02:28 PM
Since carnuba is the only wax I use I have to agree.All these different carnubas and all these different finishes.SOUVERN still is a head of the bunch for a deep shine and dust repellent.3M Show Car

Wax is a close second with NATTIES wax+S100 3rd just my opinion

andriver
06-01-2004, 02:36 PM
Thanks for the review Nick. As always, informative and well written.