PDA

View Full Version : New Car Paint

BikeFreak
05-30-2004, 12:42 PM
Newbie here. I just purchase my first *new car* last weekend. A 2004 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 ext cab V6 TRD with the Lunar Mist Paint (silver).

My question is; Do I have to let the paint cure anymore before I apply my first coat of wax. I am not sure if this is an urban myth or not. I would really like to get started on it. Like the rest of you I enjoy spending the extra time on my vehicles to keep them looking the best.

I have been reading all the tutorials. It looks like I can skip the clay bar for now, since the paint is new. I am going to use Meg`s #16 pure carnuaba wax. I like to wax atleast every couple months from spring to fall.

From my readings, this is what it sounds like I need:

100% sheepskin wash mit

Meg`s gold class wash

microfiber drying towel

fine foam pads

Meg`s #16 pure carnuaba wax

Anything else???

Thanks in advance for any help,

BikeFreak

LouisanaJeeper
05-30-2004, 12:54 PM
the paint is already fully cured by the time it reaches the dealership

Accumulator
05-30-2004, 02:22 PM
BikeFreak- Welcome to Autopia! As long as your new paint doesn`t have any marring (swirls, scratches, etc.), then the stuff you listed is a good start, but get some plush MF towels to buff off the #16.

And yeah, it`s safe to wax right away.

I really hope I can convince you to use some clay on it to remove any "rail dust". Seriously, *NOW* is the time to do it. Those ferrous deposits turn into nasty "rust blooms" if you don`t get it out of the paint (awful looking on silver, and they keep reappearing). I myself use stuff like AutoInt`s ABC (do a search on it), but clay is a lot better than nothing. I`ve probably had well over a dozen new, silver cars, and I`ve learned the hard way that this is sorta important.

BikeFreak
05-30-2004, 06:00 PM
Sounds like a good idea to do the clay bar then. I can tackle that right now too. I have never used a clay bar before, so I will read the how-to a couple times. I will grab the Meg`s quick clay while I am at the auto store, it sounded like this came highly recommended too... and some MF towels. Hopefully my list is complete..... for now.

Thanks for the info... :D

BikeFreak

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-30-2004, 06:33 PM
I don`t know if you were planning to use a MF drying towel to buff off wax but that may not be a good idea due to it`s size and thickness. I find store bought MF towels lacking in quality, I get my MF at www.pakshak.com and find the 16 x 16 ultra MF towels there to be amazing and very durable. If you decide to buy from there, don`t forget to tell them you`re an Autopia member.

Don`t worry about claying, it`s easy. Just make sure you keep the surface well lubricated. The megs clay is soft so you`ll find it easy to reform.

BikeFreak
05-31-2004, 12:22 AM
OK....

After spending the better part of the day reading and reading and reading, I finally made a decision and ordered some stuff online......

This will be my procedure.....

1. Wash with Meguires gold class wash

2. Dry with MF towel

3. Clay entire truck using Clay Magic Clay Kit

4. Wash again to remove clay residue

5. Klasse AIO 1x using MF applicator pads and MF buffing towel

6. Klasse SG 2x using MF applicator pads and MF buffing towel

7. Use Sonus QD between washes and occasionally add another layer of SG

From what I have read the Klasse will work really well on my silver paint....

I have yet to decide if I want to top the SG with S100 or not, I may do a test section and see how it looks...

If I have left anything out please let me know. This forum has SOOOO much information is it hard to absorb it all......

Thanks a bunch.....

BikeFreak

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-31-2004, 12:47 AM
Spooky, that is almost exactly what I do on my silver car. You really did do your homework when you compare your 1st post to your last post. Just don`t forget to use the 2 bucket method for washing.

I`m sure you know by now to wait at least a day between SG layers. Once you get a couple of layers on your car will glow and reflect like crazy so you may end up not bothering with wax, depends what look you prefer. I`m sure you also know by now that once you throw wax on you can`t layer SG on top of that. You`ll have to start over with AIO.

Trust me once you see how the car looks you`ll find yourself staring endlessly at it and you`ll become an Autopian addict. Good luck.

Search Bill North WOWO SG method, most people here find it much easier to work SG that way and it`s faster.

Soarer V
05-31-2004, 03:12 AM
2. Dry with MF towel

You can rinse after the first wash and skip #2 and start to clay, so you only have to dry one time.

BikeFreak
05-31-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the tips, I can`t wait to get the goods in the mail so I can start.