PDA

View Full Version : What is/isnt important about a microfiber?

a.k.a. Patrick
05-30-2004, 12:13 PM
Ive been watching a lot of discussion on various forums netwide, about origins of micro fiber towels. Some say Korea is better than China, effects of color, blah blah blah...Im a very no-nonsense type of man, very little bothers me, like labeling, coloring, smells etc....With me its all about the end product, and ease of use.....So, my question, what is important, and whats not, about microfiber towels? I`ll throw out some hints.....

Color, namebrands, sizes, thickness, slightly curling edges, hemmed vs non hemmed, edge vs no edge, china vs Korea, etc.....fell free to elay your preferences and dislikes with todays availability of MF`s, please refrain from vendor names, this is not a complaint dept.....

roadman
05-30-2004, 12:24 PM
How you clean them is very important. Using household detergents/softeners and drying them is a dryer set to hot can ruin whatever you get.

Next is to get different color towels and allocate a color for a step or treatment. For example I use dark green for wheels, light blue for polish removal, Yellow for wax removal, etc.

All of mine with labels say Korea and they are top quality that I have picked up from a couple of vendors.

III
05-30-2004, 02:06 PM
I guess if the towel performs to my satisfaction that`s all that matters.

color: don`t care, and some vendors only have one color available anyhow.

namebrands: don`t care.

sizes: I prefer a 16 by 16 for detailing. 24 by 36 and 16 by 27 for waffles.

thickness: I like a plush detailing towel, but not too plush as I find them a little more difficult to handle compared to a less plush towel. I like the feeling of having more control of a less plush towel compared to a super plush one.

curled edges: don`t like.

hemmed vs non hemmed/edge vs no edge: I would rather have a towel with an edge or no edge to it.

china vs korea: doesn`t matter as long as the towel performs to my liking and is of good quality.

Let me throw another area into the mix. Softness. I`m sure we would all agree that softness is important in a towel whether it be a waffle weave or detailing towel.

How about absorbancy? This is an area that I`ve seen some differences especialy in waffle weaves. I`ve seen and used waffles that might absorb really well, but are not as soft. I`ve seen and used waffles that are really soft, but don`t absorb as well. What`s better? I don`t know. I would tend to pick the softer waffle, but it`s a tough choice.

I don`t like towels that lint, and it kind of bums me out that mostly all microfiber products come with labels attached. Note I said mostly all. They`re vendors out there that carry tagless towels. I cut the labels anyhow, but it would be better if they came tagless. The tag thing really doesn`t play a huge decesion factor for me, but it`s just an area that could be improved if possible.

Lastly, I like a towel that has the same plushness on both sides, not one side plush and the other side less plush. This is just my personal preference though.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Thanks John ! Perfect response.....Keep em coming folks !

imported_Greg
05-30-2004, 08:33 PM
I have noticed that my grey ww drying towel is indeed softer than the blue. Take that FWIW.

roadman
05-30-2004, 08:48 PM
My best towel is made in Italy

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/mf-cbt.html

Jesstzn
05-30-2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by III

I guess if the towel performs to my satisfaction that`s all that matters.Ditto

color: don`t care, and some vendors only have one color available anyhow.Ditto

namebrands: don`t careDitto

sizes: I prefer a 16 by 16 for detailing. 24 by 36 and 16 by 27 for wafflesDitto

thickness: I like a plush detailing towel, but not too plush as I find them a little more difficult to handle compared to a less plush towel. I like the feeling of having more control of a less plush towel compared to a super plush oneDitto

curled edges: don`t likeDitto

hemmed vs non hemmed/edge vs no edge: I would rather have a towel with an edge or no edge to itDitto

china vs korea: doesn`t matter as long as the towel performs to my liking and is of good qualityDitto

Let me throw another area into the mix. Softness. I`m sure we would all agree that softness is important in a towel whether it be a waffle weave or detailing towelDitto

How about absorbancy? This is an area that I`ve seen some differences especialy in waffle weaves. I`ve seen and used waffles that might absorb really well, but are not as soft. I`ve seen and used waffles that are really soft, but don`t absorb as well. What`s better? I don`t know. More Absorbant

I don`t like towels that lint, and it kind of bums me out that mostly all microfiber products come with labels attached. Note I said mostly all. They`re vendors out there that carry tagless towels. I cut the labels anyhow, but it would be better if they came tagless. The tag thing really doesn`t play a huge decesion factor for me, but it`s just an area that could be improved if possible. but if it has to have a tag a stick on peel off label is my preference .. cutting them off leaves an egde and tearing them off messes up the hem