PDA

View Full Version : Tons o Plastic Paneling

imported_Elemental
05-30-2004, 10:05 AM
I have just started detailing my new Honda Element. Those familiar with this box will recorgnize that it has tons of plastic cladding. Does anyne know of some good products to use on this to keep it looking new?

Also, I have the very smallest paint chip on my hood that I wanted to repair. Can someone recommend a good link or some advice? I tried searching the learn function to no avail.

I`ve never cared much before but am investing time (on the car and in this forum) and the money on products that I want it to look new for a long, long time.

Thanks for what has already been a very informative week of browsing.

04BlackAV
05-30-2004, 11:16 AM
I use EO Tire Shine on the cladding of my Avalanche.Seems to be a favorite on the Avalanche forum.I find it will bead up for several weeks.I use a foam pad to apply and then let it dry for about 15 min. or so,then go over it again and buff off the excess with a towel.

kbshadow
05-30-2004, 01:02 PM
Heres a pretty good Website.

http://www.elementownersclub.com/forums/

Bob

Stockton Ca

zzyyzx
05-30-2004, 02:09 PM
Not sure how it will last because I just put it on today, but I put Meg`s NXT Vinyl et al Protectant on the plastic stuff on the bottom of the front bumper on my Pilot. I think it`s the same material. It really brought out the "sparkle" that I didn`t know was there. I`m impressed with it.

LouisanaJeeper
05-30-2004, 03:30 PM
AIO or Zaino wax.... hands down winner! it will last the longest and not contaminate your plastics with silicone or petroleum distillates (sp?). It will leave it satin or low gloss...Granted I DO use silicone dressings on my tires but that is b/c you cannot use a sealant on them and b/c they are a renewable feature on your car that get replaced every 2-3 years. Your trim is stuck on your car for life, and overtime the petroeum/silicone stuff, will degrade them.

Second choice would be a WATER BASED protectant like Armorall, Porboys`s dressings, or 303 . But you will have to reapply these every 2 weeks or so.

pt91
05-30-2004, 03:35 PM
I have converted to using Z5 on my Xterra`s trim and it is holding up very well.

I used it on every piece of black trim except the step pads.

The other stuff I tried streaks or just doesn`t last.

imported_gsrjedi
05-30-2004, 10:10 PM
I don`t think the NXT will last very long. I applied some on my exterior trim, and after the next wash it looked like I hadn`t applied any at all. My dad owns an Avalanche, so I was wondering what would work as well. I hadn`t thought about AIO. I might have to give that a try or some 303.

Lowejackson
05-31-2004, 01:01 PM
Stone chip repair info http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

Where in the world are you?

imported_Elemental
05-31-2004, 04:04 PM
thanks for all of your timely replies. looks like i`ll try z5. honda says use nothing but soap and water, but they`re not taking into effect uv deterioation.

foxtrapper
06-01-2004, 10:44 AM
I have been very impressed with Black Again on plastic.

Matt M, PA
06-01-2004, 12:54 PM
If these panels are "textured"...avoid any "wax"...it will just get stuck in the grooves.