PDA

View Full Version : Interior cleaning, better alternative to Lexol Vinylex?

imoz
05-28-2004, 09:57 PM
I have been using Vinylex for awhile now, but I am trying to find a better product to use when cleaning the interior.

The problem I am having is that I cannot seem to remove all of the dust from the dashboard etc. It looks "clean" after application of the product, but there are still little strands of dust. It is almost like the dash and other interior panels are statically charged or something. It is also a little too shiny / non-natural looking to me.

Thanks.

LouisanaJeeper
05-28-2004, 10:03 PM
I dont think vinylex is really a cleaner, just a dressing

I would clean with 1z "Cockpit Premium" followed by "303" protectant

stevet
05-28-2004, 10:14 PM
Megs #40 works great on interiors. It`s a cleaner and dressing. Not too shinny and lasts long. I like it better than Vinylex.

imported_BretFraz
05-28-2004, 10:39 PM
Lots of great interior cleaning products out there. Eimann Fabrik Hi-Intensity, Meguiar`s APC+, even diluted Simple Green or Woolite/water mix are all fine for interiors.

Except for leather I use Hi-Intensity for all my interior cleaning, diluted 2:1. Works great!!

Jesstzn
05-28-2004, 11:03 PM
I have been spritzing a MF with the Woolite mix and using it on the dash etc and it seems to lift some pretty good crud and leave nothing behind. Today I also used it to lift a grass stain from the Benz grey carpet and a few shoe marks and a coffee stain .. used the Woolite on a terry towel. Nice smell too

derek37
05-28-2004, 11:39 PM
megs #40:up nice on tires too.

SVR
05-29-2004, 02:53 AM
For the last couple of years I have been using BLUE MAGIC vinyl cleaner and protectant to dress but Citra Force to remove the stains. There are so many different ones out there. I`m not a fan of these glossy, wet look, shiny finishes on dashboards. A Like new natural look, definately a non silicone type which will keep the interior trim supple.

Omikron Fantastik Plastik and Ultimate Plus are great but I still prefer Blue Magic. 303 I know is good. As long as you use a non aerosol type interior dressing.

Saw Autosmart Dash Dandy the other day at City Car Detailers while organising a detail day for the falcon car club

I will be sampling their range shortly.

imoz
05-29-2004, 11:54 AM
I appreciate all of the suggestions. In addition to the product itself, is there anything I can do to get the panels to stop attracting dust. Wiping them just seems to push the dust around. Is there an anti-static treatment or something similar out there?

Lowejackson
05-29-2004, 05:00 PM
A slightly damp MF cloth should help. A small soft paint brush is also a useful tool for getting into corners etc. Applying to much product can make it difficult to fully buff the plastic.

Just a thought, are you tumble drying your MF cloths?

imoz
05-29-2004, 05:39 PM
The problem I am having isn`t getting into corners and crevices or applying the product. The problem is that it seems like the interior panels are statically charged and so therefore regardless of product I can`t seem to remove all of the dust, the dust seems to cling to the interior panels. So I am wondering if there is a product or technique that will have an anti-static action on the interior panels.

imoz
05-29-2004, 05:47 PM
I don`t retain and wash my cloths, I always use new terry towels from the store. I buy the bundles of 6 or 12 and throw them out after use.

imported_outsider
05-29-2004, 10:33 PM
i am a beliver of 303

LouisanaJeeper
05-29-2004, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by imoz

I don`t retain and wash my cloths, I always use new terry towels from the store. I buy the bundles of 6 or 12 and throw them out after use.

that is pretty foolish... you are better of getting a couple high quality towels and washing them after each use

imported_outsider
05-29-2004, 11:00 PM
word why dont you just get some mf?

and save some money in the long run?