PDA

View Full Version : I need help w/ my steering wheel

vwguy
05-28-2004, 08:21 PM
I recently got a NOS steering wheel for my `90 VW and I don`t want it to get trashed like my last one did. I had used Meguiar`s & Lexol, but didn`t like either one, both seemed to take off the smooth leather finish. With Lexol especially it seemed to dry it out more than it was before, the places that still had smooth leather turned very dull & got cracks, not good. I`m guessing my wheel was too far gone and that`s why the smooth finish was coming off? Anyway, what should I use to condition my `new` steering wheel? One of my friends suggested 303, but I thought that was just for vinyl, rubber & plastic? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Brian

JasonD
05-28-2004, 09:33 PM
I personally wouldn`t recommend using anything that`s going to leave a slippery residue since it`s going to be on your steering wheel. I like to use "Saddle Soap" on all my leather, it`s a cleaner and conditioner (liquid spray) that doesn`t leave any residue at all. I got mine from my local feed store. Good luck!

GoodnClean
05-28-2004, 10:42 PM
I wouldn`t use anything on the steering wheel but water or maybe some Woolite+Water. In my experience steering wheel leather is heavily coated and the coating absorbs all of the conditioners making the leather turn nasty.

Jesstzn
05-28-2004, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by GoodnClean

I wouldn`t use anything on the steering wheel but water or maybe some Woolite+Water. In my experience steering wheel leather is heavily coated and the coating absorbs all of the conditioners making the leather turn nasty.

I agree with him.