PDA

View Full Version : Orbital Buffer Questions??

kleraudio
05-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Hello Everyone,

I have some questions regarding orbital buffers. I have never used a buffer in my life and ive heard that if used wrong it can really damage your paint. A lot of people on here use these things, are they hard to learn to use properly? Are they pretty much foolproof? An orbital buffer is used for polishing and waxing right? Also if they are easy enough for a newbie like myself to use, does anyone have any recomendations? I saw some at pepboys for like 20 bux whats the difference between those and the pc`s (i am assuming pc is porter cable)? thanks for all the help, Id really like to try using these buffers. What is the difference between orbital buffers and rotary buffers? Sorry about all the questions and thanks in advance for all the answers.

Jim

dmatre
05-28-2004, 05:59 PM
For more information that you care to know, click on the SEARCH button at the top of the page.

In short, a good orbital polisher (Porter-Cable) will make your job much easier, and yeild a better result than is possible (Scottwax excepted) by hand.

It is also quite safe for your paint (unless you drop it on the hood). The horror stories that you hear (even here) about burning through the paint occur with direct-drive, rotary polishers.

There have been numerous threads here similar to yours, and I have yet to see one reply that says they don`t recommend using a PC.

roadman
05-28-2004, 06:28 PM
I decided to try the PC 7336. It is so safe that I let my son (13) use it. it is virtually impossible to burn the paint surface.

As Dmatre said dropping it is one way to get an orbital to damage the paint. Other than that the orbital polisher is a dream come true, the results that I can get are outstanding.

There is so much info on this site that you could spend hours on this topic alone. Get a variety of pads along with the polisher.