PDA

View Full Version : 600 grit sandpaper *EEK!* and some q`s about applying cleaner/polish (what pad?)

imported_speedingpenguin
05-27-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey, an inexperienced newbie (me, last year) thought he was gonna do a good job at applying touch up paint to what is now his car. on the hood...

There was a raised area of extra paint where there was a little chip, and there was some really fine grit wet/dry sand paper (so i thought) in the garage....so, i go out there proudly with some 600 grit (Hey, it seemed really fine grit to me then.) and the hose, and gentily sand away. After about half a minute, it looks great! Grab a towell, dry the area off....wowzers! the area around it looks faded sorta!

Recently went out there with my new knowladge about auto paint and detailing and stuff, with some Meguiars Scratch-x, and had no luck with that. Later, I read that that stuff is only good if like its 1500 grit scratches....

Can I sand this blemish down to that and then use scratch-x to make it look better? It hasnt gone into the color coat, just sorta scuffed up the clearcoat.

Also, i have a random orbital buffer (6") that i am gonna try with some meguiars paint cleaner and polish, and i`ve got some cloth buffer cover thingys, but i see everyone using foam pads when applying stuff like that...can i use the terrycloth bonnets or whatever theyre called? should i use the one with the longer knap (thats what its called, right?) for the cleaner or the polish if i should use it at all? Yeah, i`ve got some other ones for removing the stuff....

Thanks guys....its amazing how quickly i`ve gone from thinking that some dish soap and a new sponge was the ultimate in car care (last year and before) to now knowing that i was sooooo wrong!

Guess I just didnt know anything back then...didnt realize what sorta stuff was out there!

Thanks guys,

-Chris

imported_speedingpenguin
05-28-2004, 05:14 AM
bump?