PDA

View Full Version : DACP vs. 1Z UPP

JasonD
05-27-2004, 04:49 PM
I am currently using 1Z UPP as my most aggressive polish right now and am seeing a lot of you guys using DACP and ending up with magnificent results. How do these two products compare? Is one more aggressive than the other?

andriver
05-27-2004, 05:17 PM
DACP is less aggressive than UPP. I think it may even be less aggressive than PP.

JasonD
05-27-2004, 05:49 PM
Wow, I had no clue. I used UPP on my recently purchased green 97 Explorer and it didn`t seem to be all that aggressive. I was almost thinking of going back over it using DACP but if it`s less aggressive than UPP, there`s no point. Don`t get me wrong, the car looks brand new but it just seemed to lack a little oomf on the really stubborn defects, you know? I was even using a PC with a yellow pad switching between level 5 and 6 depending on the defect and surface. The car was full of light scratches and marring from lack of paint care in the past. Even with these defects, it still wasn`t as bad as the F150 Deemo recently had fun with, and I don`t feel I got anywhere near the end result as he did. Then again, the paint on mine might not have been as good as his either. Ahhh, the joys of trial and error....gotta love em.

zzyyzx
05-27-2004, 05:50 PM
I used UPP on my paint, then MP and then DACP followed by TechWax. Granted, my car had been neglected for a while, but now it looks nice.

JasonD
05-27-2004, 05:53 PM
You used MP before DACP?? Now I`m confused. I was under the impression that DACP was strong enough to leave the paint hazy, yet you are using it after MP?? I used MP on my Mustang race car (Porsche Guards Red) as a prep before AIO and P21S, and it worked great as just that...a prep. It smoothed things out nicely and left me a beautiful base to work with but it wasn`t in any way cutting strength IMO.

Bobby G
05-27-2004, 06:03 PM
From most to least abrasive:

1Z Ultra Paint Polish

Meguiar`s Dual-Action Cleaner/Polish

1Z Paint Polish

JasonD
05-27-2004, 06:28 PM
Well, I guess that solves that debate. Thanks for jumping in, David.

zzyyzx
05-27-2004, 11:47 PM
The MP wasn`t quite strong enough to clear out the minor swirls I had left, hence why I came back to the DACP. In the future, I would skip the MP until afterwards... I knew I was going to need something aggressive like UPP to clean it up, and then I went to MP thinking it might be enough, but alas, it wasn`t. Just hopeful thinking.

imported_pugoman
05-28-2004, 01:26 AM
MP is a very mild product - I`d only use on paintwork that is already in excellent condition. It won`t remove much in the way of surface marring or swirls IMO.

Gonzo
05-28-2004, 06:44 AM
I think the UPP is more aggressive than DACP, but I also think it breaks down quicker. Here is what I did to reach this conclusion.

A while back I tried to paint touchups on my hood and ended up with overspray of the red and clearcoat and the clear ended up with what I call micro OP way way samller that the factory installed OP. DACP wouldn`t touch it. UPP cut all the clear mess off with my rotary and a foam cutting pad. I was working one small section at a time along the leading edge lip of the hood and found I had to keep applying little dabs of UPP. You could watch it cutting the clear off, then it would just stop. Pad was still damp with product. When I added a dab more of polish, it would cut like a mofo for about 30 seconds then stop again. I was working at dusk/dark under 1000 watt lights so seeing what the buffer was actually doing was easy. Finished off with PP and got essentially defect-free hood out of the process. A little AIO to remove fillers/oils and it was still defect-free, so added some SG.

JasonD
05-28-2004, 10:22 AM
Very interesting about it breaking down quicker. You were using a rotary though, I wonder if the breakdown period is reduced when a PC is used instead??

Accumulator
05-28-2004, 10:32 AM
Depending on how you work them, the 1Z polishes` abrasives can break down pretty easily and *very* fast, especially by rotary (tip- use very slow speeds, <800 at first, then speed up when abrasives have started to break down). Or they can break down gradually and sorta slowly if you work them by hand/PC with that as your objective. For me, this is really great- I feel like *I`m* more in control of what`s going on. Like the product is adapting to me, rather than me to the product (even though it`s really all the same thing ;) it`s just how I perceive it).

I just can`t overstate how user-friendly I find the 1z polishes. Like what Gonzo was describing with the so controlled cutting action of the Ultra when used with a rotary and a cutting pad.

One thing the 1Z Ultra/Extra and DACP have in common is that *some people need to follow up with milder products, while others don`t.

JasonD
05-28-2004, 10:55 AM
Well, I`ve cetainly learned a lot from this thread. I`d like to thank everyone for all the great info. After reading all of this, I have come to terms with why I didn`t see the results I was expecting.

1 - I didnt` use enough product on the pad. I was thinking less is better and was pretty much working a dry pad

and

2 - Worked the product too fast, not giving it time to do it`s job

I can`t wait to try it again, except with more knowledge this time around.