PDA

View Full Version : Moisture bubbles trapped in Xpel. help

Bill D
05-27-2004, 02:22 PM
I installed Xpel headlight protective film on my headlights back in October. I saw some mositure bubbles trapped between the material and the light when I was finished. I repeatedly tried to smooth them out with the provided squegee while having the high beams on and using a blow dryer. I got extremely minimal improvement. By late fall/winter I figured I just try again when the weather got warmer. By now the bubbles have improved a tiny bit mostly on the passenger side but I still get make them better. I even use my halogen work lights now, I even tried poking them with a pin., nothing :mad:

I thought I read about using a syringe and injecting the bubble with more water?IPA solution , but what kind of syringe, where do I buy?

Anyone else have this problems? Any solutions?

Here`s a link to a photo of the driver side headlight. I did my best to pint out the bubble in red.

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7295

BoxsterCharlie
05-27-2004, 04:14 PM
I hate to say it, but I think you`re out of luck. The main reason is that the adhesive may have aged too much. Not sure water would help, the adhesive isn`t water-based.

imported_Aurora40
05-27-2004, 04:21 PM
yeah, I think you are screwed... I have the same thing. I put mine on, and the directions that came with them didn`t mention being able to pull it off again. So I figured that would basically ruin it. So I just tried to smooth the bubbles out, and did do the poking trick with a pin, which helped some. Later that week, while a bit disheartened by the bubbles, I checked their website which had much more comprehensive install instructions. I should have just pulled it off and on until it was mostly bubble free to start with, then squeegy it perfect. Alas, it was knowledge too late.

They`ve been on over a year now and I don`t mind too much. One day I`ll buy a new set and do it right... At least they still protect well, bubbles or not.

Bill D
05-27-2004, 04:24 PM
Thanks guys,

Im going to email Xpel now, see what they say, will probably have to get another set :mad: I hope it`s not a massive endeavor to get them off

Bill D
05-27-2004, 04:28 PM
Aurora, do yours look as bad as mine?

forrest@mothers
05-27-2004, 05:47 PM
When they installed mine, the installer used a small syringe to remove trapped air - know anyone who has diabetes where you can get a syringe?

Bill D
05-27-2004, 06:19 PM
Hi Forrest,

Sorry no, but I suppose I could try a pharmacy. I have seen special syringes for cooking purposes I believe and i think some folks used them with zaino. I wonder if that kind would do?

forrest@mothers
05-28-2004, 09:01 AM
Think small - a small syringe with a small (short) needle.

If I recall, he put the needle in from the side, instead of straight down (so he wouldn`t hit the paint, I suppose), then slowly pulled the plunger out (towards him) to create vacuum and reduce the air bubble size.

imported_memnuts
05-28-2004, 09:03 AM
You should use a diabetic insulin syringe.

Bill D
05-28-2004, 09:15 AM
Thanks again,

Could you indicate exactly which kind from the example below? Thanks!

http://www.gcmedicalsupply.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=40&cat=Needles/Syringes

imported_memnuts
05-28-2004, 10:04 AM
Terumo Insulin Syringes

U-100

Latex Free, Sterile, Single Use, Non Toxic, Non-Pyrogenic.,

Available in Boxes Of 100

Do you have a friend that works in a hospital? If so, have them pick you up one. You might go to your local pharamcy and explain you intended usage and they may give you one. Unfortunately, these are a junkie`s (IV drug abuser) favorite needle and are quite controlled (normally need a prescription).

I would mail you one (w/i US borders) but afraid of the legality. :nixweiss

Bill D
05-28-2004, 10:14 AM
blkz28conv,

Thanks very much for the offer,:xyxthumbs I was thinking about those same issues. I don`t want to give the impression I`m anything more than just a detailing junkie;) :o I guess I`m sorta stuck. On the bright side, looks like I might be able to get replacements from Xpel

imported_Aurora40
05-28-2004, 12:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Aurora, do yours look as bad as mine?

I think on mine there is only one bubble that`s about that bad, the rest is more minor. I can try to take a picture next week when I have the digital camera back. But no, I don`t think mine are quite that bad. If you step back about 5 feet from my car, they look really great. :nixwiess

Bill D
06-03-2004, 06:18 PM
Xpel sent me an entire replacement kit for the cost of shipping, got it today! Talk about a compnay that stands behind its products. Bravo Xpel! :bow

Redcar GUY
06-03-2004, 06:27 PM
WOW!