PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage of wax over SG?

klamen
05-27-2004, 12:04 PM
I`m thinking of doing the Klasse twins, and then afterwards using Meg`s #16 or P21s over top of the SG. However, I`ve heard that when using AIO, the SG should be skipped if you are going to use wax.

I know I want the AIO and wax, but is SG a wasted step?

togwt
05-27-2004, 12:25 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

I usually use both AIO (IMO it provides very little polymer protection, but it great a paint cleaning preparation) and SG.A polymer has better durability than a carnauba wax product, plus a higher melting point (350oF+) but lacks ‘depth’. By using both AIO and SG you get a good polymer protection and with a renewable sacrificial wax and obtain that ‘depth of shine’.

So I don’t feel that SG would be a wasted step…

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

qwik
05-27-2004, 12:28 PM
do a search first bro, there are tons of threads on the SG/S100 combo, and apparently its a GREAT combo. I will be doing it this weekend. I`ll post pics in click & brag.

ZaneO
05-27-2004, 12:30 PM
I suggest going to a Harley store and picking up some S100. It`s the exact same as P21s, but $10 cheaper.

The carnauba offers more warmth and depth and also acts as a sacrificial layer.

Soarer V
05-27-2004, 01:03 PM
I`ve heard that when using AIO, the SG should be skipped if you are going to use wax.

If you`re going to layer SG, the wax part must be skipped until completion of SG layers.

klamen
05-27-2004, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Soarer V

If you`re going to layer SG, the wax part must be skipped until completion of SG layers.

Well, I understand that multiple layers of SG will make the vehicle look better. Anybody have an idea of what the layer point is that additional layers really aren`t noticeable? 3, 5, 10?

ZaneO
05-27-2004, 04:13 PM
I have read 3 layers of SG is a good stopping point, with a day in between each coat.

thom
05-27-2004, 04:16 PM
according to the guy who imports klasse after 2 coats of sg your not getting any more protection, but that is his opinion.

klamen
05-27-2004, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by ZaneO

I have read 3 layers of SG is a good stopping point, with a day in between each coat.

If it`s a daily driver, it would be advised to wash it preceeding each additional coat, correct? Then after the third, it could be immediately waxed...right?

ZaneO
05-27-2004, 04:23 PM
If you are driving it, I would wash it before touching it again. I would wait another day after the 3rd coat, before adding wax to it.

Accumulator
05-27-2004, 04:26 PM
I`d put the number of SG coats bvefore diminishing returns at about five. I get about a year of protection out of that many (even with spot-claying), which is a lot longer than I got from two or three layers. I`ll do three a day apart, then the next two after the next two washes.

Yeah, wash it before more SG if it`s not spotless (as in stored in a very clean garage).

Adding #16 *did* make a difference each time I`ve done it. And it beads like you can`t imagine. Virtually self-cleaning in the rain.

I`d wait 24 hours, or until the next wash, from the last coat of SG until doing the wax topper. Just playing it safe, not sure if it`s necessary.

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-27-2004, 04:43 PM
I`ve got 3 coats of SG on mine, after the 2nd coat there was a noticable difference, after the 3rd coat, looked the same to me.

klamen
05-28-2004, 07:31 AM
There seems to be some differences on when to apply the additional coat(s) of SG. As long as it is buffed in good, why is there a need for waiting 24 hours or longer to apply the next coat of SG? Does each coat of SG need to "air cure" or harden for a period of time before the next coat is applied?

Accumulator, you said you waited 24 hours to apply the wax over the SG to be safe. Is it also for the reason I just wrote about, just to give the SG time to harden?

Also, since it`s a glaze, would the preference be to hand-apply and hand-wipe instead of using a buffer pad?

ZaneO
05-28-2004, 10:06 AM
Yes, it needs time to set up on the paint.

beastie
05-28-2004, 02:50 PM
I like to have 5 coats of SG. I like its looks better than just 3 coats. There is a world of difference between 2 coats and 3 coats but the looks plateau off after the 5th coat. I`ve topped off with S100 and with Souveran on my girlfriend`s black Lincoln LS. Needless to say, Souveran is magnificent.