PDA

View Full Version : First detail completed.. now some questions!

Eightball
05-27-2004, 11:38 AM
Hello Autopians,

Yesterday, after about 9 hours work, I finished my first detailing attempt, inside and out, on my car (a black 2003 Alfa 147). Overall I am very happy with the result but I have some questions about how I can improve the results without too much more effort. This was the course of action I took this time:

Wash – Turtlwax car shampoo (:shocked Shocking I know but I got 10 litres for £10!)

Clay – Meguiars

Glaze – 3M IHG

Wax – S100

The overall result (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7288&papass=&sort=1)

Bonnet reflection (sorry about the dust!) (http://www.autopia.org/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=7287&papass=&sort=1)

Now the questions.

I realise that the Turtlewax shampoo isn’t the ideal stuff to be using, so what do you suggest?

I am impressed by the effectiveness of the clay at removing surface contaminants, but how often should I clay the car? And how often do I need to replace my clay?

I am keen to use non-abrasive products on my car. The IHG was recommended to me but to be honest I’m not sure how effective this was :nixweiss. As I understand it, it will help to ‘remove’ minor swirls and scratches, which it appears to have done to some extent but not as effectively as I was expecting. It was also quite hard to buff (by hand) off the paint after applying. So, am I using the IHG for the correct reasons? If not what should I be using?

I was very impressed with the ease at which the S100 could be applied and buffed off, and also at the silky smooth finish it has given the car. However last night we had a few spots of rain, which along with the large amounts of dust I have to put up with here, have now left my car with tiny circular spots all over the finish. Would a quick detailer remedy this? Again, what do you suggest?

Next time I clean the car should I follow the same process? Can I leave a stage out or should I be doing something else? I am particularly thinking that I should be doing something between the clay and IHG stages?

Thanks for taking the time to read this and answer my questions. I don’t mind expanding my stock of cleaning products, as long as I don’t bankrupt myself, so any suggestions gratefully received.

Andy

togwt
05-27-2004, 12:16 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Q: I realise that the Turtlewax shampoo isn’t the ideal stuff to be using, so what do you suggest?

A: There are many good car wash concentrates * I * like Zymol Cleanse, but Zanio Z7, Perls, Sonax, etc are all highly rated

Q: I am impressed by the effectiveness of the clay at removing surface contaminants, but how often should I clay the car?

A: Place your hand in a plastic bag and run your hand over the paint surface, if it feels ‘gritty’ its time to clay.

Q: And how often do I need to replace my clay?

A: When the detailing clay becomes somewhat soiled from using it on the paint surface, set it aside for use on glass surfaces only, then when it becomes very soiled use it on the wheel surfaces. After this cycling discard it (do not use clay on class or wheel surfaces and then paint as it will contaminate the paint surface)

Q: So, am I using the IHG for the correct reasons? If not what should I be using?

A: 3Ms IHG is just that a glaze (they ‘fill in’ surface marks) it’s a non-abrasive so it cannot remove surface imperfections.

Q: Would a quick detailer remedy this? Again, what do you suggest?

A: S100 is a great wax but has very little durability, a quick detailer (QD) will remove watermarks (acid rain ‘ water spots’ are another thing entirely though)

Q: Next time I clean the car should I follow the same process? Can I leave a stage out or should I be doing something else? I am particularly thinking that I should be doing something between the clay and IHG stages?

A: If you have swirl marks or abrasions on the paint surface you’ll need an abrasive machine polish (something like Megs. DACP- Dual Action Paint Cleaner)

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Lowejackson
05-27-2004, 04:39 PM
There is little I can add except to ask what condition is your paint. Do you have many scratches, water marks etc.

Glazes are great but you are simply hiding marks, this is fine if that is what you want to do.

Few other options on your product range. Blitz is a nice wax which lasts a lot longer than the S100. If you want a longer lasting shine, consider Autoglym Resin (& Gloss) this can also be topped with a wax, if you wish.

As well as Sonax, I would highly recommend Dr.Wacks shampoo from Iauto. Wacks polish is also a nice chemical cleaner

In basic terms, the more you prep the paint, the better it will look.

Eightball
05-27-2004, 07:37 PM
Lowe,

My paint is in, I guess, generally good condition (the car is only 7 months old). It has picked up a few very minor scratches and some minor spiders-web type swirls, these seem to become most visible under the petrol station forecourt lights at night, but are certianly not a bad as some in the pics that have been posted on here before.

For the time being I am happy to mask these with a glaze, but as the paint condition diminishes over the years then I will wanting to take more corrective action.

I have alot of the Autoglym products, staple xmas pressies from distant relatives, I use their Fast Glass, Bumper care and Clean Wheels on a regular basis. I used to use the Super Resin Polish on a regular basis with my previous cars, but haven`t used it yet on the Alfa.

I`ve seen the iAuto website before - I`ll have another look at their products later. Do you know where can I find Zaino/Blitz/Sonax stockists in the UK?

Finally, I mean`t to ask this earlier, what do people recommend in the way of protection for alloy wheels? Is Wheel Wax worth the money or is any wax suitable?

Cheers

Andy

Jesstzn
05-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Eightball

Now the questions.

I realise that the Turtlewax shampoo isn’t the ideal stuff to be using, so what do you suggest?

There is also a lot worse out there and it won`t strip anything .. Before I would spend a fortune on the Boutique stuff .. use it up .. its not going to hurt you. TW and a good sheepskin mitt will do you no harm.

waxacura
05-27-2004, 10:54 PM
How ya`ll doin`!, Gotta love the Brits English! `Petrol forecourt` and `pressies`. Hadn`t heard those before, `bonnet` I have heard. Not making fun, just enjoying the languauge.

I`m from Texas and we say gettin` gas, fill`er up, check under the hood cause she`s runnin` rough!; and yes, there is an oil well in every back yard! well...not EVERY back yard.

and no, not all Texans voted for you know who.

Lowejackson
05-28-2004, 02:01 PM
Do you know where can I find Zaino/Blitz/Sonax stockists in the UK

Strange you should ask http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=29410

After deep cleaning the wheels, use the Resin & Gloss, this also makes future cleaning a LOT easier

Eightball
05-29-2004, 11:00 AM
Excellent, Thanks Lowe

3Dog
05-29-2004, 12:48 PM
TOGWT....Great tips on recycling clay!!

xhaust50
05-29-2004, 03:19 PM
Finally, I mean`t to ask this earlier, what do people recommend in the way of protection for alloy wheels? Is Wheel Wax worth the money or is any wax suitable?

Not really. Wax will wear off from the heat of the brakes. You`d be much better off using a sealant on the wheels (i.e. EX, SG, etc.) After that, dirt will come off much easier. However, use can`t use a wheel cleaner because it will strip the sealant, but you should fine that you wont have to.