PDA

View Full Version : PC questions

klamen
05-27-2004, 08:24 AM
Forgot today was quarterly bonus check day for where I work, and now have a few hundred dollars added to my "play money". So, I`ve decided to use it to get a nice detailed kit assembled.

I`m going to pick up a PC 7424. I also would like to get one of the following accessory kits for it, but not sure which one I need for my purposes. I`m leaning towards Kit #1 due to the price savings:

Kit 1: $49.95, 6.5"

1 Orange Pad

1 White Pad

1 Gray Pad

2 Microfiber Towels

1 5†Flexible Velcro Backing Plate

Kit 2: $79.95, 6.5"

1 Orange Pad

1 Yellow Pad

1 White Pad

1 Gray Pad

1 Velcro Backing Plate 5"

1 Lambswool Pad-

Pair Microbiber Bonnets

Pair Terry Bonnets

2 Microfiber Towels

Which of the above would I need, for use with the following products I`m going to use?

Eagle1 Wet Wash

Autopia`s own claybars

Klasse AIO

P21s or Meg`s #16 wax (can`t decide which to get yet, I`ve heard great things about both)

I`ve read a lot of the PC threads on how to use the PC, and I think I should be running it on 5 for the polish, and 4.5 on the wax. Is this correct? Also, just to make sure on this; the 7424 is a 6" device, but the pads ARE supposed to be the 6.5" ones, correct?

If it matters, the PC and the supplies will be used on two new vehicles that were bought about two months ago (Dodge RAM truck and Stratus), and both have been only washed on a weekly basis up to now.

I`m like a kid getting ready to open a Christmas present, I`m so excited about getting a detailing kit for a change and not having to hand polish/wax cars any more. My wife thinks I`m nuts, but I told her I`m becoming a Autopian!

Thanks!

andriver
05-27-2004, 08:29 AM
I would add another white and yellow pad to your mix. It`s more practical to have two of each when you are working on your paint. Either package seems fine. You are only limited by your budget.

I usually run my PC on 4 when I apply AIO and apply P21S by hand. Good luck.

Accumulator
05-27-2004, 09:32 AM
klamen- I wouldn`t use the terry pads, and I prefer MF bonnets that work over *foam* pads. The wool ones tend to flatten out with undesirable consequences.

As andriver said, get some extra yellow and white pads. You`ll need them eventually and you don`t want to get caught short. Remember, [stuff] happens.

jasonmac
05-27-2004, 09:50 AM
I just got a PC 7424 too! I bought two yellows and two whites (plus backing plate) and the Menzerna `twins` to start.

klamen
05-27-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks for all the help. One more question: I`m planning on getting the PC from Costal. Since it comes with the bonus kit that has the 6" backing plate and counterweight, can I still use the 6.5" pads that I would have used on the original 5" backing plate?

EDIT: Read the "FAQ" three times before finding this:

Both 5" and 6" backing pads will work with commonly used 6.5"(or even 8") polishing pads. They do not have to match their diameter or anything, just stay firmly attached.

Got my answer, thanks everybody for the answers to my original questions.

Slick
05-28-2004, 11:39 AM
When using a PC do you always have to go in a horizontal direction?

klamen
05-28-2004, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by Slick

I always heard that you go with the air flow on the car...so horizontal on the sides, and bumper-to-window on front/back.

turborave
05-28-2004, 07:28 PM
i use the up/down, side/side, diagonal both direx, so every area gets 4 passes.

a.k.a. Patrick
05-28-2004, 08:48 PM

I start front to back, then fill with fender to fender, then finish with front to back......overlap every pass as well......Speeds depend on the product your using also....Polishes i start slow to avoid slinging, get the product spread around, then up it to about 5.5, then finish full bore.....Some people prefer to use additional pressure, i sort of let the machine use its own weight.....I disect the hood area into 4ths...

Thomas Dekany
05-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Originally posted by turborave

i use the up/down, side/side, diagonal both direx, so every area gets 4 passes.

I was told to do the same thing by CCRS in Arlington Va.