PDA

View Full Version : Is this guy for real?

Pages : [1] 2

6cyl's_of_fury
05-27-2004, 05:39 AM
I have just spent the best part of 4 hours doing the exterior of my car in the basement carpark wash bay in my units. While working the Menzerna FP, a guy parks his van and wanders over for a chat. I stop my PC as he casually flips me his business card and say that he is a professional detailer, and if I want my car done by a pro to give him a call. :rolleyes: Eerrr, yeah ok.

He then starts to ask me what I have done, so I explain that I have just done a QEW, gave it a once over with IP and Im now following up with FP. He then went on to ask me why I did two stages of polishing, and what on earth was the "buffer thing" I was using. I did my best to politely explain his questions and let him know that I have a bit ahead of me and I`d like to get on with it. He commented that my paint was really nice and swirl free, and how did I do that? :shocked Um with the two polishes I just mentioned and explained to you?? It was at this point I really had to hold in the huge laugh I wanted to let burst. He smiled and said to remember to give him a call if I ever needed some pro help. :rolleyes:

When he finally got in his car and left, I fell over laughing for the next 5 minutes. The only call he will get from me is one where I am laughing at him a lot. At the very least, he lightened the mood and inspired me to finish before another weirdo came out of the wood-work asking me questions!

And BTW, I gave #7 topped with S100 its first go. It looks good under the lights, but it is late here ( almost 9pm ) so no pics and sun evaluation until tomorrow.

Anyone else had a "pro" like this bloke?? :scared :shocked

wash-girl
05-27-2004, 08:44 AM
A fine example of the difference between "professional" and "expert." It`s unfortunate that they can`t always be used interchangeably.

tom p.
05-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by ZJ JIM 96

A fine example of the difference between "professional" and "expert." It`s unfortunate that they can`t always be used interchangeably.

*self-proclaimed expert :p

dternst
05-27-2004, 09:21 AM
Detailers that know what they`re doing really don`t need a title. They let their skills do the talking for them.

Diamond Details
05-27-2004, 09:36 AM
I`ve actually had something similar happen to me, except the guy didn`t have a card and he was alittle more ignorant than that :)

Clownpuncher2.4
05-27-2004, 10:49 AM
He`s a Professional "Interior" Detailer.

Magellan498
05-27-2004, 11:04 AM
I`ve talked to people like that. :lol

My favorite comment out of one of them was, "Oh I don`t mess with that carnuaba crap..."

Kleanride
05-27-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Magellan498

My favorite comment out of one of them was, "Oh I don`t mess with that carnuaba crap..."

Yeah, S100 and Pinnacle are garbage! LMAO!

:D

tpgsr
05-27-2004, 12:16 PM
I love when people do that, i am a "pro", but i really like to consider myself to be a continually learning master of my trade. I strive to learn and grow as mush as possible, to achieve the best results possible. Even me as a pro, i have had encounters where the "other guy" stops by to see what you use, and how you go about what you are doing, and by the time the jack *** leaves, you are wondering how he is still in business with the lack of knowledge or talent. You should send him a picture of your car and tell him that it is what a Real detailer can do!

imported_pugoman
05-27-2004, 01:40 PM
It`s the same with any trade - `professional` doesn`t mean that the individual is any good at their job, it just means they try to make a living from it.

MattZ28
05-27-2004, 01:51 PM
:lol :rofl

ben54
05-27-2004, 02:20 PM
I`m always surprised when I speak with one of my friends, and they say that in their former lives, they were professional car detailers. A lot of times, they haven`t heard of a lot of the products discussed on this board. I know one guy was using Liquid Glass to detail cars. I guess to be a "Pro" one just needs to clean cars for money, not actually do a good job.

drrac2
05-27-2004, 03:10 PM
For most people on this board detailing is a passion, or an obsession, depending on how you look at it. For most of these "pro detailers" its just a job.

This is the most informative site that I have encountered on the subject. The product reviews and exchange of knowledge is truly amazing. People on this board are very scientific in their approach, and provide excellent documentation and photographic evidence of their results.

I have been hooked since day one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

imported_CARFREAK
05-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Yes,that happened to me too a few years back and I did not appreciate it.What got me with this guy was that he came onto our business premises and walked up to the sacred garage where Dad and I park our cars to check them out,without our permission.Then he had the audacity to come into the office,ask for the owner of the red BMW to come out.I had no idea who he was and thought it was someone coming to give me a serve about the way I drive or something.

He came out with he was a professional detailer and he wanted to show me all the "problem areas".I am no Scottwax but I take huge pride in my car , love detailing it and it looks great to me.He got the royal heave ho out of our place.

I never saw his car but most "professional drivers" have less than immaculate cars.

SVR
05-27-2004, 05:00 PM
Buffin, that`s a ripper. I can`t contain my laughter over this moron.

As I have said before, there are heaps of "Professional Detailers" in our wonderful country but for many of them it`s simply a job. Most do not have the passion and dedication that you, I and all the great guys here do. The dealer installed swirls is just one of many things that so called Pro`s are doing. I know of two detailers that ignore the fact that a car they are doing is in dire need of fallout removal.

Seriously though, I want to be continually learning, trying as many brands of professional products as possible and get to stage one day where I am a master of my trade.

"QUALITY HAS NO FINISH LINE" - PACER PRODUCTS AUSTRALIA