PDA

View Full Version : #7+#16 on Satin Silver Good Combination? (NXT experiance also)

tb's type-s
05-27-2004, 03:08 AM
After reading many threads here at autopia I have decided to go with this combination (#7 then #16) and recently ordered my #16 tin today from autopia along with some kakhi mf towels.

Today I waxed my car with nxt and although it came out with a very crisp finish I was not entirely pleased because it also made the color lighter (almost a white). I am in no way saying the NXT is a bad product because it certainly is not but it did not really give me the results I was looking for. I wash my car several times a week (about 4, with Gold Class) and always finish with EO wax as you dry and those results are actually more pleasing to me due to the increased luster and reflective characteristic in the paint.

Do you guys think that that #7 and then #16 will give me different results then with just the NXT?

If anyone is interested in some picture of the car with just NXT I will be happy to take some and post them.

Thanks for your time!

-Tony

tb's type-s
05-27-2004, 04:59 PM
http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDEwNjY5NnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDEwNjcxNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

http://www.we-todd-did-racing.com/wetoddimage.wtdr/wNDEwNjcwNnM0MTNkZmQzMXk1NDE%3D.jpg

Sorry, it rained a little so the windows are a little dirty but I think it looks decent for less then an hour of work.

-Tony

TN9thSi
05-27-2004, 05:03 PM
Your host does not like pic linking.

tb's type-s
05-27-2004, 05:05 PM
I have it working now.

-Tony

Spilchy
05-27-2004, 05:20 PM
#16 on light colors like yours is an excellent choice - very durable as well. In fact, I find #16 works well on all colors. You`ll see, a bunch of people like to top NXT with #16. As far as a difference - try a portion of the hood with your new combo and the other portion with NXT and judge for yourself! It`s all in the eye of the beholder!

However, I would switch out the #7 and use Meguiars #81 Hand Polish. The #81 is better suited for modern day clear coats such as yours whereas the #7 is better suited for older, single stage finishes.

This is NOT to say that you can`t use #7. It`s that you may find it easier to use the Hand Polish because of the possible smearing issues with the #7. Just keep shaking the bottle because it is very oily and it settles quickly.

Nice car, looks sharp :xyxthumbs

tb's type-s
05-27-2004, 05:25 PM
Thanks for the compliment and I appreciate the advise. I have never used the #81 before and was wondering if it hazes or if it works like the #7.

Thanks for your time.

-Tony

Spilchy
05-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Generally, with the #81, I like to do a side of the car at a time with a THIN coat, and then come back and buff off with a microfiber that has a little "bite" to it - one that is not so fluffy as to just smear the oils around. I use two towels. One for the first pass and the second to buff the rest out. Same applies to the #7. You`ll see, it can be oily and smeary if you use too much.

Hope this helps

tb's type-s
05-27-2004, 06:59 PM
Yeah I have never applied either so that does help a great deal. I just applied the nxt recently and am going to apply the #7or #81 then the #16 next week which is the day before a car show which my car will be in. My question is do you think that I will be able to apply the #7/#81 right on top of the week old nxt prior to the #16 and get good results? Will they bond ok or do I need to do something in between the two steps.

Thanks again.

-Tony

Also I just ordered the khaki mf`s from autopia, will they have the "bite" that is necessary?

Spilchy
05-27-2004, 07:19 PM
You ordered the khakis? You`ll LOVE them! I have 2 packs. I just posted a review on them that you can see on the home page. They will be a wonderful addition to your arsenal and will work fantastic with all your product removal. Just wash and dry them before use and (I`m sure you know) no fabric softner or bleach. In fact, first wash, I use no soap.

As far as layering the #7 or #81 on top of NXT - I`m not sure. Logic dictates that the #7 or #81 goes BELOW the NXT. Maybe someone else can answer. Also, there has been discussion about NXT having some cleaners in it so it *may* diminish the #7 or #81 effect.

When I use NXT, I use no glazes underneath. When I use #16, I use a glaze - if this helps.

You may want to post this exact question you just asked in the "Meguiar`s Forum." You`ll get an answer from the guru himself, Mike Phillips. Unless someone else chimes in here. :up

tb's type-s
05-27-2004, 07:41 PM
Yeah I ordered the #16 and the khaki`s yesterday:xyxthumbs . Thanks for your help and I will post the question on the meg`s part of the forum. Hopefully my thread will not be disreguarded and branded a "stupid newbie thread" which drives me crazy because I have been so active in other forums.

Thanks again!

-Tony

By the way what difference in result do you think I will see when comparing the nxt alone with the #7/#81 topped with #16?

I think for next week`s show I may just top the nxt with the #16 and skip the glaze (because the wax was applied so recently)

tb's type-s
05-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Spilchy, I posted that thread in the meg`s forum as you suggested and am crossing my fingers hoping for an educated autopian response.

-Tony

tb's type-s
05-27-2004, 11:54 PM
167 views and only 1 person responds I love it. Do you guys not like the car that much or just not want to try and help someone? Haha, no big deal.

-Tony

Glossequation
05-28-2004, 07:27 AM
Originally posted by tb`s type-s

167 views and only 1 person responds I love it. Do you guys not like the car (http://search.targetwords.com/u.search?x=5977|1||||cars|AA1VDw) that much or just not want to try and help someone? Haha, no big deal.

-Tony

Silver is always a tough color I think. It depends on the car maker--for example, Audi has a great silver that has like a metalflake in it while GM`s silver is too flat.

In any regard, #16 is excellent, excellent stuff. :xyxthumbs

Mike_Phillips
05-28-2004, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by Spilchy

You may want to post this exact question you just asked in the "Meguiar`s Forum."

Did my best...

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38475

Mike

tb's type-s
05-28-2004, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

Did my best...

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38475

Mike

And it was more than enough.

Thanks again.

-Tony