PDA

View Full Version : if you have used a PC less than 10 times-- read this

spetulla
05-27-2004, 01:16 AM
I have used a PC on quite a few vehicles now, each time I learn a few little tricks.

In thist hread I will share all of my tips. I`ve probably used mine on 15 cars.

1. You will have to use it with a yellow pad and DACP longer than you thought you would.

-- I did my bmw m3 hood about a month ago. I realized later that I did not get enough of the swirling / scratching out. Today I went back and went really really slowly (sometimes staying in spotsa nd applying good pressure multiple times, going about one inch per 5 seconds and making manypasses). This seems to be what it takes on speed 5 (i dont like 6, its too out of control) to get a really really nice even finish that you can look at and say "wow, not a single mark". That is the finish I strive for.

2. Use the contour pads`s contours. THey are there for a resaon. Use them on the edges FIRST and do not neglect your edges. Use them anytime you need to, use the pad`s improved design to your advantage.

3. polishes do not need to be PCd NEARLY as long as compounds. I usually do 3 quick passes and then wipe them off, that is usually enough.

4. ALWAYS use a white pad after a yellow pad. If you don`t, it will leave hazing.

5. Waxing with a PC is hype. I have had little success, I like the control of a liquid wax on a foam meg`s pad. Make linear streaks that are thick and you can see the white of hte wax, then go back and forth in the perpindicular direction to evenly spread it.

That`s all for now :)

Also, put one had directly on top of the pad and the other to control the PC. Using a PC should feel like you are an artisan, its realy enjoyable when you get in a good rhythm.

:)

hondaguy2582
05-27-2004, 01:35 AM
Thanks for the tips :) !!!!!!!! Btw, I like applying #20 by machine with the lake county white pad and also aio.

imported_NHBFAN
05-31-2004, 01:59 PM
I`ve had my PC for about 4 or 5 months now, and I agree with most of your impressions/characteristics of the PC.

The PC really isn`t best suited for remedying paint problems, it`s not nearly as aggressive as I expected. I thought with DACP and a yellow pad you`d be through the clear coat in short order, but of course, that`s not the case.

Also, I don`t see that much difference in using different pads, e.g. yellow vs white. There`s a difference, but it`s negligible.

Scottwax
05-31-2004, 11:38 PM
Take off the handle. Much easier to apply even pressure that way.

Dinzdale40
05-31-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Take off the handle. Much easier to apply even pressure that way.

definitely true......most of us are big enough to not have trouble holding onto it......a rotary on the other hand does need the handle....