PDA

View Full Version : Polishes, Waxes, etc. for all paint finishes?

Slick
05-26-2004, 10:16 PM
If the polish, wax, cleaner, sealant, etc. is safe for clear coats does that mean it is also fine for regular paint finishes? Thanks.

imported_BretFraz
05-26-2004, 10:22 PM
In general, yes.

There are some products that are blended to work better on clearcoats and some that work better on single stage paint. But I cannot think of a product that works well on one type of paint but poorly on another.

Slick
05-26-2004, 10:27 PM
Kool so no need to worry about using the wrong type on one or the other. What is the point of caring if it is clear coated or not. I have seen where you can check by applying polish I beilieve and if the color of the car comes off on the cloth it is only a base coat am I correct?

imported_BretFraz
05-26-2004, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Slick

Kool so no need to worry about using the wrong type on one or the other. What is the point of caring if it is clear coated or not. I have seen where you can check by applying polish I beilieve and if the color of the car comes off on the cloth it is only a base coat am I correct?

Correct. If you see paint color on your app, there is no clearcoat.

Modern clearcoat paint jobs are quite a bit thinner and softer than single-stage paint jobs of old. Also, custom paint jobs tend to have more paint applied to a car than a factory paint job. So there is a legitmate concern whether or not a polish is better suited for clearcoated paint or not. However, the product doesn`t know what kind of paint its being used on so as long as it`s appropriate for the job, it`s fine.

Slick
05-26-2004, 10:52 PM
Thanks for your input man!

Slick
05-26-2004, 11:30 PM
I notice just about all products say you can use with a polisher or a buffer or by hand. If they don`t say you can use it with a polisher will it affect the outcome?

imported_BretFraz
05-27-2004, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by Slick

I notice just about all products say you can use with a polisher or a buffer or by hand. If they don`t say you can use it with a polisher will it affect the outcome?

Some products are formulated for machine use and some are not. If you`re not sure, try it both ways on a small area to see how it reacts.

For example, Meguiar`s Scratch X is formulated for hand use. Using it by machine requires some care and a light touch. Meguiar`s #2 Fine Cut cleaner is designed for machine use and works best that way than by hand. So it all depends on the specific product you`re using.