PDA

View Full Version : rubbing compounds by hand or machine?

Pages : [1] 2

Blackmirror
05-26-2004, 10:14 PM
I have been reading about rubbing compounds on sites such as this and others(CMA, etc.) I read somewhere that rubbing compounds should only be applied by hand and not on clear coated paints. Then I read an article on CMA site about removing swirls and there were pics of the guy using a PC with 3M fine cut compound before moving to a swirl remover. I`m waiting for my pad kit to arrive and will be using my PC for the first time on my black Harley truck. I want to apply 3M Fine cut compound on some areas to remove scratches but not sure if I should do it by hand or PC.

imported_Intel486
05-26-2004, 10:54 PM
You can do it with the PC. I wouldn`t worry about it. You`ll have to follow up behind 3M`s Fine Cut with a polish as Fine Cut will leave a haze on the paint. A polish will clear it up easily though.

I`ve used Fine Cut on many clear coated vehicles and it doesn`t hurt them. It`s just a more agressive form of a polish.

Nice Choice of Truck! :up

Accumulator
05-27-2004, 09:41 AM
Yep, 3M`s Fine Cuts (like 39002 and 05399) are OK to use (by hand or PC or rotary) on clearcoats. Just follow up with something milder as Intel said.

Blackmirror
05-27-2004, 05:09 PM
Do I have to use a 50/50 alcohol/water mix to remove the compound or can I just buff it off with a charisma towel? I should be using the yellow pad for 3M fine cut right?

Blackmirror
05-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Got my pad kit today! Ready to use my pc for the first time! Should I apply the compound on the paint or the pad? If on the pad, should it be a circle or three small lines on the pad?

Bill D
05-27-2004, 06:22 PM
Hi Blackmirror,

I would apply the IPA solution only if the compound`s not easily coming off. When I use my PC I put a few small lines of product on the paint, dab a few spots of it on the pad and smear it with the PC with pad before I turn the PC on

Blackmirror
05-27-2004, 08:41 PM
Yeah thats what I did except I didn`t put product on the paint. Only the pad and then smeared it.

Whats IPA?

Bill D
05-27-2004, 09:12 PM
The isopropyl alcohol mix

Blackmirror
05-28-2004, 11:17 AM
Well I tried to fix a scratch with my new PC and it does appear less noticeable unless you look at it very closely. I think I made some hairline scratches which I can`t feel with my fingernail around the scratch. I used the PC in a left and right then up and down motion. Here`s what I used:

yellow pad with 3M fine cut

White pad with Meguiars #9

Then AIO by hand

Finally, SG by hand using WOO method.

So how did I create the hairline scratches? Can DACP remove them? I`m gonna try that next.

ricastm8
06-03-2004, 09:32 PM
Blackmirror:

I just recently used 3M`s fine cut and found the amount of dust it created maddening, and it did`t remove scratches at all? Did this happen to you?

I used PC and yellow pad too.

Sorry to ask instead of helping...

Thanks

Ricardo.

birdman
06-03-2004, 10:12 PM
Sorry im new, but what are you talking about when you say PC?

rickindy
06-04-2004, 07:51 AM
A Porter Cable orbital buffer, either the 7424 or 7336

togwt
06-04-2004, 09:11 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Try this article (with photographs) showing steps etc.

How to use the Porter-Cable 7424 Polisher DavidB

http://store.yahoo.com/autopia/inf-pc7424.html

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect * so I question everything *

Bill D
06-04-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by ricastm8

Blackmirror:

I just recently used 3M`s fine cut and found the amount of dust it created maddening, and it did`t remove scratches at all? Did this happen to you?

I used PC and yellow pad too.

Sorry to ask instead of helping...

Thanks

Ricardo.

That happened to me so I havent used the stuff in over a year. Maybe once I begin my rotary experimenting Ill try it and see how well it works that way.

Accumulator
06-04-2004, 10:30 AM
You folks who aren`t getting the results you expect from the 3M RC (sounds like you`re using 39002) with the yellow pad- are you using it at speed 6? If so, then maybe your paints hardness and the severity of your marring means you`re gonna need a rotary (or at least a Cyclo). There`s a real limit to what a PC can do.

Blackmirror- Sorry to hear you`re having trouble. I`d use the FCRC with a white pad before switching to the #9. I almost *always* follow a cutting pad with the same product on a polishing pad when using the PC/Cyclo (unless I`m using something *very* aggressive).

If you`re still removing product with Charismas, that sounds like the source of your hairline scratches, I use *very* soft, plush MFs instead (I used to use Charismas too). I`m assuming you work the FCRC until it`s broken down/almost gone to powder (and yeah, it makes plenty of that). If the residue won`t wipe off easily, use some Meg`s #34. More lubricity than plain alcohol mixes.