PDA

View Full Version : Starting Business!

Slick
05-26-2004, 09:37 PM
Hey guys I am new to this site and have already learned so much. I am going to start my own business. I am going to start out at my house and possibly going to peoples houses if they desire. I don`t have a shop or building to work out of in town yet! I recently ordered the Meguiar`s Centennial Collection with the PC. I see there are many other products out there also. I have listed below what I plan to offer. Tell me what you think!

Economy Detail Package:

Wash and Dry

Clean Windows (Interior & Exterior)

Clean Tires & Wheels

Apply dressing to tires

Vacuum Interior

Wipe down of dash and console

$40-$60 according to size of vehicle

Show n` Shine Ultimate Detail Package:

Wash n` Dry

Clay or Clean Paint

Polish

Wax

Clean tires & Wheels, Apply dressing to tires

Clean windows (Interior & Exterior)

Clean inside door jambs

Clean & Vacuum carpet and interior

Clean & condition any leather

Clean & apply dressing to dash, vents, etc.

Clean & apply dressing to any trim, moldings, seals, etc.

$120-$160 according to size of vehicle

Slick
05-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Any input from the pros? I appreciate any input!

imported_Intel486
05-27-2004, 12:19 AM
Not sure about your area but the Economy Detail Package seems a bit expensive. It mainly appears to just be a basic wash package. Something I do for $25 to $35 depending on the vehicle.

Your other package seems pretty right on with the Price range.

Check some other threads for how people figure out how much they need to charge. It`s really up to how much you want to do the work for. Figure out how much it takes for you to operate per hour (chemical cost, wear on machines, etc.) and then add in how much you would like to make in profit. That`s how much you need to charge per hour.

I also have packages to let people get an idea of what I offer but when I arrive at the job I usually try to sell other services. It usually works. Get them to pay for carpet extraction, get them to pay for clay, upgrade a wash to a wax package, etc.

Sometimes I even throw in claying for free on really big jobs. Some customers don`t understand or feel they don`t need it and don`t want me to do it because I charge $20 for it. Their paint really does need it and it sometimes makes my job easier. Plus people like getting this for free. And you can show them how slick their paint is now.

ZaneO
05-27-2004, 12:23 AM
Do you have any experience? From your other posts, it seems like you are a newbie. If that is the case, I would suggest doing some freebies for family and friends until you get the hang of everything.

This is not a business you can just decide to do for other people without some previous experience. If you have experience, good luck :)

Slick
05-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Dude I been washing and detailing cars since I was like 15. Only thing I don`t have experience with is using a machine for polishing and waxing. If you noticed that is the only thing I asked questions about was mainly pertaining to polishing and waxing. Something wrong with making sure I am using the right product for the right job? Everything else is simple to me! Pretty basic stuff! By the way is that your Z in your avatar?

Slick
05-27-2004, 12:52 AM
I guess I could go lower. The economy around here isn`t great. I called a shop today they said $50 for about the same thing. But that would be good to get some people in I guess. I definitely want to be lower.

imported_Intel486
05-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Originally posted by Slick

I guess I could go lower. The economy around here isn`t great. I called a shop today they said $50 for about the same thing. But that would be good to get some people in I guess. I definitely want to be lower.

Check with some other shops. $50 seems high. I`ll do everything listed and wax a car for $50. You`ll have to see how much you need to charge to cover costs and make the money you want to make though.

Sent you a response to your PM BTW if you haven`t gotten it.