PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Pads, White Pads??

kleraudio
05-26-2004, 05:11 PM
Hows it going everyone, this is my first post on this website, I just bought a new 2004 Dodge Dakota in silver and I really want to take care of this car. Ive been doing a lot of reading on detailing, trying to learn all that I can. I have a question, I hear alot about yellow pads and white pads, some are good for this, others are good for that. Can someone please explain what this all means? Also is there a good source for a seriously new beginner to car detailing?

Thanks in advance

Jim

andriver
05-26-2004, 05:28 PM
Welcome kleraudio. Start by hitting the "Learn" icon at the top of the page. Another good source to learn about pads and PC use is this link http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14421 . Good luck.

wash-girl
05-26-2004, 06:12 PM
Yeah. Pads are used with machines--either a rotary such as a Makita or Dewalt, or the more commonly referenced dual action/random orbital polisher like the Porter Cable model 7424 or 7336 (referred to, here, as the "PC").

Pads have different "cutting" ability, or "abrasiveness," and the color of the pads are used to indicate which level they are at. Some manufacturers use different color schemes, but all assign different colors for different levels, which are used for different purposes or steps in the detailing processes.

kleraudio
05-27-2004, 02:36 AM
I was talking about hand pads. I just bought some white ones, they seem like terry cloth, im not sure how to tell and i bought two meguiars pads, they are yellow and are a little rougher. I plan on doing all polishing and waxing by hand, can you tell me what the differences in hand pads are?

Thanks again for the help everyone.

Jim