PDA

View Full Version : Zaino + a wax?

Pages : [1] 2 3

mike2858
05-26-2004, 04:28 PM
this is my first post so a lil background b4 the question. ive been lookin around here ever so often and finally decided to join. i have an 02 mustang that is my daily driver. i think i take good care of her, but im sure i will be doing much more after some more time spent here. now my question.

ive been using Zaino for about a year and im happy with the results. but now i heard that i should be putting a wax on top of the zaino? so i emailed sal and he said that i SHOULD NOT do that and then i was reading the ebook thing and it said that zaino although called a polish is a wax- so now im completely lost. what else, if anything, should i use with the zaino?

xpditor
05-26-2004, 04:34 PM
I asked Sal the same question and got the same answer. The only thing I put on top of Z2 on my new Acura TL is Z6 Gloss Enhancer.

However, since my car is black, I am noticing a "silvery" appearance that is quite shiny, like a mirror, but seems to lack the depth that it could be. I`m looking more for a deep, rich black as on a polished onyx stone.

I am thinking of trying some Wolfgang`s. ExcelDetail also recommended Blackfire so I may try that to see if give the effect I am looking for.

Different products work differently on different colors.

General Lee
05-26-2004, 04:35 PM
I`m new to Zaino and just put a coat of Z-5 on my 03 Mustang GT. I`m waiting for my Z-2 to arrive. Zaino is more of a sealant than a wax that with multiple coats will produce beautiful results. This is what I have learned so far. I have been told you can top Zaino with a non abrasive wax . Just a pure carnuba for example. They call it a polish for what ever reason but the write up on Zaino states it has no cleaning abilities therefore you must remove waterspots etc before applying......

ZaneO
05-26-2004, 04:57 PM
Zaino is a synthetic polymer sealant. It is not a wax, and it is not a polish.

Many people have topped Zaino with a carnauba topper with satisfactory results. I have done it on my red car, but I didn`t notice much difference.

Zaino is a very good product durability wise, and on yellow, should look pretty nice. If you feel like experimenting with a carnauba wax topper, I would suggest S100. It is high quality and can be found at most Harley Davidson shops.

imported_BretFraz
05-26-2004, 05:44 PM
The only reason to top Zaino with a wax is to change the looks. Zaino is more durable, more reflective, slicker and clearer than any wax but some prefer the carnauba look so they add it on top.

One important thing to remember about topping Zaino with wax is, if you want to add more layers of Zaino, you have to first strip off the existing wax. If you like to add a coat of product on a regular basis, this process would be a PITA but some go thru it. It`s your call, of course.

I asked Sal once why he used the term "polish" and he told me something along the lines of... what am I gonna call it, a non-abrasive, high gloss, super slick state-of-the-art pure polymer sealant? That won`t fit on a label. So he calls it a polish because (among other things) it`s not a wax.

imported_JoganJani
05-26-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by mike2858

ive been using Zaino for about a year and im happy with the results. but now i heard that i should be putting a wax on top of the zaino? so i emailed sal and he said that i SHOULD NOT do that and then i was reading the ebook thing and it said that zaino although called a polish is a wax- so now im completely lost. what else, if anything, should i use with the zaino?

Mike, why do you want to put the wax on top of Zaino? What did you read? Will you please share?

I`m also using Zaino since I bought my new TL, however, am very pleased with the result and just wondered why the wax would be required on top of Zaino coats?

mike2858
05-26-2004, 09:04 PM
i was reading on stangnet that some guy topped it with s100 and he posted pictures and it looked great (on a black car) i believe he also said it would add protection.

after reading these posts i dont think i will be putting anything on my zaino because i try to put another coat on once a week or once every other week for the summer- and if the new coats of zaino wont stick to the wax it doenst sound very efficient for me.

how do you guys apply and remove zaino? by hand or do you use a machine?

thank you for the quick replies--youll be hearing a lot of questions for me so you wont get bored :)

xpditor
05-26-2004, 09:24 PM
I apply Zaino just as directed: a terry cloth applicator pad, a nickle sized dollup of Z2, then I just spread it on like butter on toast, making sure to use VERY LITTLE (about one ounce for the whole car) and insuring good coverage with a light coating. It`s hard to see it unless you get real close at a severe angle.

Then, I let it cure for about two hours. I then buff off the haze with a 100% Cotton white Terry Cloth towel made in America. A clean one that has been washed only with similar towels and NO fabric softener.

With the Z6 Gloss Enhancer, I wipe it off with a microfiber towel, switching sides often and buffing it up to perfection. Try not to get the Z6 on the glass. It doesn`t spray as finely as I would like it to. It kind of spurts.

I can`t imagine using a PC/machine. It`s just overkill and not needed. That`s too much like work.:nixweiss

ZaneO
05-26-2004, 09:28 PM
I apply Zaino by hand, but it can be used by PC.

If you are adding a coat of Zaino each week, you are doing nothing but wasting product. If you do it because you like detailing your car, that`s one thing, but you won`t get any improvements past 3-5 coats.

Make sure to use the Learn icon and the search function before you ask questions ;)

B4Zâ„¢
05-26-2004, 10:04 PM
i top Zaino with #16. the #16 makes the paint a little darker.

imported_BretFraz
05-26-2004, 10:13 PM
I applied Zaino with a PC for the first time a couple weeks ago. It worked fine. I used a Surbuf pad which helped distribute the product a bit more evenly and with less waste than a foam pad. Even still, any product wasted in a foam pad is pretty negligable.

I think the car came out OK.

http://members.roadfly.org/bretfraz/site visits 041a.jpg

xpditor
05-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Bret:

The car is beautiful. You can`t argue with results like that.

Here`s my Zaino (2 coats):

ZaneO
05-26-2004, 11:14 PM
Nice Fikse`s, Bret. :cool:

GoodnClean
05-26-2004, 11:22 PM
I personally am not a fan of the Zaino look. The black TL pictured there and the other picture Jogan posted just look naked to me, artificial. Topping that with a wax would *for me* vastly improve the look. If you like the look though then there is no need to top...

imported_BretFraz
05-27-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by ZaneO

Nice Fikse`s, Bret. :cool:

I only wish they were mine :) The M5 belongs to a good customer. The Volvo in the background got an AIO treatment by me and a Land Cruiser in the garage has Z5. I drive 140 miles to detail his cars twice a year.