PDA

View Full Version : After polishing compound, Meg`s Scratch X?

xpditor
05-26-2004, 04:18 PM
I am working on a 1995 BMW, red, and it has already been repainted by BMW. I had significant dulling/oxidation of the horizontal surfaces and used a rotary and polishing compound. Now, I have a very clean surface with a ton of swirls.

Should I use Scratch X to reduce the swirls before using Meg`s Medallion PPC or should I just skip it. I tried a test panel with just the PPC and it did a pretty good job but still some swirls.

I don`t have a PC so I will be working by hand.

Considering the age of the paint and that this isn`t a big ticket detail, should I go with NTX for the filling ability or a polymer sealant like Zaino?

It`s my friend`s wife`s car and they are on vacation. They will see my handiwork when I pick them up at the airport next Sunday. I`ll be spending a day on the inside!

XP

SpoiledMan
05-26-2004, 04:21 PM
It would help to know which compound you used. Off the top of my head, DACP #83 should help you out. Since you have a rotary, try using that with a polishing pad and you should be able to get it to the point that NXT will bring you home. ;)

xpditor
05-26-2004, 04:29 PM
I used what I had on hand which is "Turtle Wax White Polishing Compound and Scratch Remover".

Can I get the DACP #83 at the usual retail outlets? If not, where?

When you say "polishing pad", you are referring to the white foam pads?

SpoiledMan
05-26-2004, 05:22 PM
You will not likely be able to find it at the local "parts" store. If you can find an auto body supply shop. You can go to www.meguiars.com and look for the local distributors of the Pro line of goods.

The color of the pad will depend on what brand of pads you are using. The Lake Country polishing pads are white in color. The Meguiar`s polishing pads are yellow in color.