PDA

View Full Version : Menzerna or 1Z

baja216
05-26-2004, 02:36 PM
I`m thinking about using either Menzerna intensive polish or the 1Z Ultra (I believe that`s the one) on my 1987 mercury cougar. The previous owner didn`t take decent care of the finish. I`ve had it about five years now and I do have the paint really looking good but it seems to become dull really fast. I believe I`ve got a lot of oxidation to remove. I`ve been using mothers cleaner wax, mothers glaze, meguiars two step polish, and meguiars two step carnuba wax. When I get done with this the paint is really smooth but the shine doesn`t seem to last that long. I`m thinking of using klass AIO and maybe the sealant glaze followed up with some decent carnuba wax for better results. I was thinking of using the menzerna or 1Z first.

With this in mind

1. Will Menzerna or 1Z give me better results or are they about the same?

2. Will using Klass AIO after that work and should I give it a few coats?

3. Will using the Klass sealant glaze be good to follow up the AIO with and should I give it a few coats?

4. AFter all this will a good carnuba wax be a good follow up?

Sorry for the big post but I think I`m ready to take the plunge with better products. I use Zaino on my `80 corvette and I love the finish it gives me but I had a better coat of paint to start out with!

Thanks for all the help:D :bow :bow

Bill D
05-26-2004, 02:44 PM
I`ve used Menzerna FP after the 1z largely to go over the top after my isopropyl alcohol wipe down to ensure the surface is totallywax/filler free for AIO to bond to. I go two coats of AIO before I apply my SG. Then I have applied another coat of SG daily. When you want to stop applying SG you could then add your wax and take it from there :D

imported_Unreal
05-26-2004, 02:59 PM
AIO actually bonds to the paint? I thought it was just a cleaner?

Bill D
05-26-2004, 03:05 PM
My understanding is that AIO has some acrylic sealant in it and this ingredient bonds to the paint. I guess sorta like a Meg`s Cleaner-Wax just an acrylic sealant instead of a wax.

maecrispy
05-26-2004, 03:14 PM
It depends on whether you have a PC or not.

1.) Both are good. Menzerna FP/IP is good by PC. If you`re doing stuff by hand, I would use the 1ZPP/MP.

2.) AIO will work just fine but keep in mind that you`ll lose any fillers that the 1Z polishes may have put down

3.) Just depends. SG will give you some extra protection and it *is* made to work hand in hand with AIO. Otherwise, slap on whatever topper you like as AIO seems to play nice with a lot of different products.

4.) Again, your choice. A carnauba topper is typically used to achieve a certain look (i.e. wet, depth), not for durability. Sealants (like SG) have a more reflective look and will last much longer than a typical carnauba topper.

baja216
05-26-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the information.

I do not have a PC and I`m planning on doing it by hand. It sounds like

I might not get significantly better results with going with SG after the AIO. Is the SG worth doing of will a few coats of AIO get me where I need to be? I`m definitely not against putting multiple layers on. I`ve already got 6 coats of zaino on my vette this year!

maecrispy
05-26-2004, 07:52 PM
Not sure that multiple applications of AIO would actually result in layers since AIO has cleaners. It most likley would remove itself if you tried to layer.

AIO will give you a good base to start with. You`ll probably want to top with something though to give you a little more protection. I`m not sure just AIO is enough for what you`re looking for.

onemansopinion
05-26-2004, 08:09 PM
I`ve traded emails with CMA regarding Menzerna`s IP & they have become rather impressed by it`s results, whether by hand or PC. I had intended to try the 1Z PP, but will be trying Menzerna`s IP ... then followed by FP, AIO, SGx2 & #16. Given the SGx2 this will take me into next week or so, but I`ll let you know how it goes thru SGx1.

Either way, Menzerna or 1Z, your car will appreciate your effort ...