PDA

View Full Version : dupont teflon

00alero
05-26-2004, 02:07 PM
I just saw a commercial for Dupont Teflon car wax/ detailing products. Has any of you ever tried this stuff? I think it maybe new.

Bill D
05-26-2004, 02:12 PM
Although they could be half decent products, don`t let "Teflon" fool you:

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35920&highlight=teflon

SVR
05-26-2004, 06:38 PM
Teflon is valuable in detailing which is restricted to surface smoothning and adding lustre but will not protect at all.

I know that Tenneco Automotive are licensed to make this stuff and the paint protectant has ceramic in it. The Ceramic from what a friend of me told me is an excellent protective product and the teflon helps prevent fallout and other road grime from sticking to the paint because it makes the surface super slippery.

As for the other products, I am not so sure.

imported_Intel486
05-26-2004, 09:10 PM
I`ve always been told that Teflon (PTFE) doesn`t bond to the paint surface at all and simply buffs away with the residue. Does anyone know if this stuff actually cross-links on the paint? I`m not a chem e. yet so I can`t answer.

forrest@mothers
05-26-2004, 10:16 PM
Ceramic in the paint protection product?

That`s a new one to me. I`ve heard of it being used as a manufactured abrasive, but not for paint protection.

stuart hicks
05-26-2004, 10:39 PM
Can you fry an egg on your car?

I wonder if an egg would be able to ruin your car with the teflon on it?

Would the egg slide off the car once cooked?

I don`t like how Dupont went out of their way to tell people that Teflon was nearly useless when used in polishes only to turn around a few years later and market a line of products featuring Teflon.