PDA

View Full Version : What to use for new paint?

CarKrazy
05-26-2004, 06:21 AM
Hi guys,

I just changed my bonnet and front bumper, all thanks to some reckless yahoo ....

The paint on it is still new and I was told not to wax it for at least 4 weeks, why is this so?

Also, is there anything else besides wax that I can use to protect the newly painted finish??

Thanks! :)

togwt
05-26-2004, 07:41 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Newly re- painted vehicle- How long do you have to wait before you can polish or wax a newly painted vehicle surface? A glaze (3M Perfect-It III Show Car Finishing Glaze) contains a protective polymer that is paint able. It is completely safe for fresh paint, as it allows the solvents to evaporate. I do not know of a single paint manufacture that recommends applying wax, or any type of paint protectant (sealant) until a minimum of 30 days has passed and sometimes longer. You can wash or polish the vehicle but don’t use a quick detailing spray (QD) as they usually contain a wax.

Dupont standard is to wait 90 days if the vehicle is out in the elements and to wait 120 days if it is kept in a garage most of the time. It can be argued that catalysed paints are cured chemically and there is no need to wait for 30 days, the manufacture knows their products best, seek their advice.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/ Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

CarKrazy
05-26-2004, 11:27 AM
What will happen if I wax the newly painted surface without waiting for 60-90 days?

How often must I use 3M Perfect-It III Show Car Finishing Glaze on the newly painted surface?