PDA

View Full Version : Product Recomendations

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Intel486
05-25-2004, 07:07 PM
Some of you know I`ve been out of detailing about a year now. I`m getting back to detailing though and there have been some changes in products so I`m wanting to know what people are using today. I need to be able to get them pretty easily and in bulk.

I`m looking for sugggestions for the following:

Rotary and PC buffer pads

Clay Bar

Tire Dressing

Interior Dressing

Carpet Spot Treatment

Exterior stuff I want stuff that`s not too hard to use on hot/warm paint. I have to work in parking lots sometimes.

Compound

Polish

Wax

I appreciate any help you all can give.

Also, anyone know a store that sells Surgical Towels? The local place here wants $200 for a 55gallon drum full of them. I don`t need that many.

imported_Macgirl
05-25-2004, 07:29 PM
Check this thread, Autopia Store-Pro (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38083).

jimmybuffit
05-25-2004, 07:49 PM
Welcome back to the fold!

As I recall, you have the Sensei extractor, correct? For Stain Removal products checkout Bridgepoint.com . PM me for specifics, but they have a great system for analyzing and rmoving stains, They`ve gotten me through many ugly minivans!

I`m sure they`ll have a local distributor in N`orleans.

I really like Eagle One`s Super Blue Dressing (from your Valvoline Distributor) in the 5 gallon version, about $58

Hard to beat AutoMagic`s Clay. I got some from David`s Autopia.com for about 8.50, no tax, no shipping!

But, the NEW Mequiar`s Clay (MILD/BLUE) is quite effective, and competive, if you can get no tax, no shipping...

I`ll wait for Scottwax to offer opinion on working in the sun. I know what he`ll say, but (really) only he can say it!

I like my current (Malco) dressing at $10.50/gal. I have 303, but it is +/- $62/gallon!

Check out mequiarsonline.com , a forum that may be coming into it`s own (with perhaps a bias...) BTW, their new Detailer Line is due to hit the market any day now... PM me, I`m sure I`ll have details soon!

As for the rest, I`ll be interested to read others responses...

Again, welcome back. I hope the summer bodes well for you!

Jim

Scottwax
05-25-2004, 09:00 PM
Jim covered the cleaning/dressing supplies. For the compound, polish and wax, I`d go with Meguiars #83 DACP and #80 Speed Glaze to prep the paint, Vanilla Moose for the polish/glaze and either Poorboy`s EX or EX-P as your last step product. #83 and #80 can be used on warm paint, but if it is hot to the touch, you should wait until the paint cools. I have used VM and EX on hot paint with no problems although I really prefer to do the work in the shade whenever possible.

imported_Intel486
05-25-2004, 09:14 PM
jimamary, thanks for the info.

On the two dressings you listed. How do they dry? Shiney, flat? Any problems with fling off or browning on tires?

I see not much has changed with Clay. I`ll be going with Automagic then.

Mainly going to be using PRO stuff again but I`m looking for other products as some PRO stuff I don`t like. Want to look at what AutoInt has to offer also.

imported_Intel486
05-25-2004, 09:16 PM
Scottwax, thanks for the info. Got a link for the Vanilla Moose stuff?

If I can find a Meguiar`s distributor here that I like, then I`ll be using some of their stuff.

ZaneO
05-25-2004, 09:22 PM
Vanilla Moose can be found at www.clearkote.com and www.pakshak.com

imported_Intel486
05-25-2004, 09:27 PM
ZaneO, Thanks for the links.

For the compound and polish I`m really looking for something that can be used with a rotary. I like the PC but can get done faster with a rotary.

Anyone use or have any opinions on the what Stoner has? Specifically the Trim Shine, Invisible Glass, All Purpose Cleaner, and Upholstery and Carpet Cleaner? What all do you use the APC on and how well does it do? How well does the Upholstery and Carpet cleaner work and does it foam too much to use with an extractor?

Bill D
05-25-2004, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by jimamary

I like my current (Malco) dressing at $10.50/gal. I have 303, but it is +/- $62/gallon!

I know it`s expensive but you can get a gallon of 303 for $55 with FREE shipping from

http://www.carcrazy.net :up

BumpersPlus2
05-25-2004, 10:36 PM
I use Autoint wheel cleaner, new car prep, machine polish, Etr, all with extremely good performance and service.

imported_Intel486
05-26-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Bumpers Plus

I use Autoint wheel cleaner, new car prep, machine polish, Etr, all with extremely good performance and service.

How does their Machine Polish work? You use it with a rotary?

I`ve used their car wash (forgot the name, it`s long w/ PH balanced in there). Also used their Omni APC. I really like it. I bought it for removing bugs as a lot of my previous customers would come to be with a LOT of baked on bugs and a good soaking w/ the Omni APC while I cleaned the tires/wheels would take care of them.

Edit: jimamary, I tried to send you a PM about the bridgepoint stuff but it says your inbox is full.

SuperShine
05-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Welcome back! All Poorboy`s stuff is intended for use in the sun, equalling warm paint. And it really does work. As far as a wax, for time and money`s sake I`ve been using the Wolfgang twins. The outcome is spectacular and it takes soooo little time and effort. If I want to use a topper (for my special customers and myself, wink, wink) Souveran over WG is awesome (especially black, red and deep colors) and Pinn. SS for lighter and metallics. #16 is also a great topper.

BumpersPlus2
05-26-2004, 08:02 PM
Intel, I use the machine polish with a 3m black waffle polishing pad. I havnt tried it in direct sun. No smear, no greasey film. I use a makita rotary. I also love the omni as a bug remover, with their bug pad. I mix it about 8-1

imported_Intel486
05-26-2004, 08:50 PM
SuperShine, the poorboy products are good but I`ve only gotten to try a handfull of them. I will be ordering his Spray and Wipe though. Best quick detailer I`ve found.

I`m going to look into the Wolfgang products to see what they`re like. Thanks.

Bumpers Plus, The machine polish produces a swirl free finish w/ the rotary?

How do those 3m Waffle Pads hold up? Since I`ve been using a rotary I hear people recommend them but haven`t had the urge to spend the money to get some. I might have to though.

I always seem to catch my new pads on something and tear them. Did a boat a long time ago and first thing I did was catch the end of a screw that was hidden under an edge and tear a new pad... On a friend`s truck I got to close to his mud flap and ripped my pad... grrr...

jerry@robs
05-26-2004, 11:15 PM
Intel: NICE TO HEAR FROM YOU AGAIN! :)

Little known product called EO Cleaner Glaze is REALLY great... especially with an RO, pretty much WOO by hand, but great swirl-free finish with a machine (RO or Rotary).

Pads, I`d stick to LC pads for rotaries, but get a couple of Meg reds and 3M Waffles while your at it... The 3Ms work great for polishing with a rotary... Just don`t run your toothbrushes or whatever to clean them, rinse them well and spin dry... They last quite a while... It`s velcro is pretty at par with Meg`s... I`d still prefer LC.

Buffers, i think the Makita BO6040 is a great buy for mobile guys.

Grab EO WAUD for engine bay waxing... saves a lot of time and great shine.