PDA

View Full Version : First machine detail so,so

Lbarker
05-25-2004, 02:03 PM
Hi. I just performed my first detail using a Porter-Cable 7474 on a black `02 Accord (always garaged but many obvious swirl marks).

I took 9 hours washing, claying, polishing and waxing. The car looks much better but the swirl marks are still there.

I`m new to this so I`m sure I used the wrong products. I used Meguires #2 polish and their brand of wax also. This came in a kit from Costco. I had the speed of the polisher set between 2 & 3. Obviously I need some advice on where I went wrong.

As I`m new to detailing with a machine, I don`t want to get a polish that is going to be too much for the paint.

Any advice on products? Are the microfiber towels good to remove the polish and wax as well as dry the car?

I believe I used the correct pads, grey for the polish and white for the wax. Do I need a different pad to remove the swirls?

Thanks, Lee.

imported_Aurora40
05-25-2004, 02:16 PM
Do you mean the Deep Crystal #2? It really doesn`t have any aggressivness, so it really won`t do much for swirls. In the Consumer line, I guess #1 would be the best bet for swirls? But I`d get the pro line if I were you. Something like #9 Swirl Mark Remover or #82 Swirl Free Polish to start out with. :wavey

You might also up the speed to closer to 5 or 6, but only if you feel comfortable with it. What kind of pad did you use?

ncal
05-25-2004, 02:20 PM
I`m assuming that you used the polish from their 3 step system. The deep crystal polish doesn`t have much bite to it so I`d recommend stepping up to something more aggressive. Also, don`t be afraid to pump up the speed. 2-3 is pretty low, I`d recommend 5-6 for polishing. Also, its helpful to just put a few pounds of pressure on the PC. It`s gotta be finessed so don`t put too much on it either.

Lbarker
05-25-2004, 02:37 PM
Thanks. It was the Deep Crystal Polish.So does Maguires make the #9 or the #82? I used a grey pad that was specific for polishing that I bought with the polisher. I`ll up the speed next time also.

General Lee
05-25-2004, 02:54 PM
Where did you get your pads?

Usually, grey/black pads is for applying wax/sealants

White are for mild polishing

Yellow are for more a bit more aggressive polishing

If your pad stated grey for polishing then I guess you have to foolow that.

Meguires makes the #9 and #82 You should be able to find #9 at Pep Boys.

Lbarker
05-25-2004, 03:05 PM
I bought them online. Perhaps I have them mixed up. I may have used the grey pad for waxing rather than the other way around. Thanks for the info concerning Pep Boys.

Wilky
05-25-2004, 03:12 PM
You may want to look into using 3m Swirl Remover next time. It will mean starting from scratch, (pardon the pun) but I did my 3 yr old JetBlack 328is with it then Zaino and had virtually no swirls when done. Put the 3M S-R on by hand though, although ultra light, its still a rubbing compound!

then consider a synthetic polish/sealant combination and put on many layers. I did 3 and the swirls were gone.

Best of luck!

Lbarker
05-25-2004, 04:19 PM
Thanks Wilky. Is Zaino a brand of wax? Also, how does one prvvent these swirls from coming bacK? Or is this a recurring problem that will have to be dealt with periodically? I use a cotton wash mitt and cover the car while outside to keep dirt accumulation to a minimum. Should I be washing with something else?

scottabir
05-25-2004, 11:45 PM
What do you use to dry the car? Is the car cover scratching the paint?

Zaino is a paint sealant "system" consisting of a few steps. I dont use it but I have heard it doesnt do much for removing swirls (no flames I dont use it).

Swirls can be kept to a minimum by proper wash/dry techniques. I would say check out the Learn! button at the top of the home page.

Scottwax
05-25-2004, 11:51 PM
I`d start with #80 Speed Glaze, polishing pad and crank the PC up to 6. Use enough pressure to bog the motor then back off just enough to get it back to full speed and that is the right pressure (IMO) for polishing.

Lbarker
05-26-2004, 10:09 AM
I was using a cotton bath towel before I found out about the microfiber towels. I suppose that was the culprit? I also looked at the pads I used last night and realized I used both white pads to polish and wax, rather than using the grey one for polishing. But those were the instructions that came with the P-C unit. Now I know better.

As far as covers go , I"m using a new Evolution 3 from Covercraft. I`m trying to be careful with it but since I`ve detailed the car the cover won`t even stay in place long enough for me to put it on. It keeps slipping and sliding off because the car is so slick! I guess that`s a good thing. I have to keep it covered though as I work in a windy dusty area where dirt get kicked up for hours.

Thanks for the tips...