PDA

View Full Version : Problem after wet sanding scratch

imported_ChaoticBliss
05-24-2004, 10:40 PM
I got hit my a fairly large rock that was flung up from a truck that cut me off the on hiway the other day and it left a couple of large chips in my hood. So I touched them up with my touchup paint and clearcoat and then proceeded to wetsand them down using 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper using a small rubber block. It came out very smooth but my problem is, when I look at it in a certain light and at a certain angle (my camera wouldn`t show it so I couldn`t take a picture) I can see a indent in the clearcoat around the scratch (it looks kinda wavey). Is there anything I can do to fix this or am I pretty much stuck with it now? I guess the problem was I sanded a little too much?

Thanks

imported_SouthernZ71
05-25-2004, 02:05 AM
if you are talking about where you applied the paint, then you need to apply more paint and sand...keep doing those steps till the indent is gone...

Matt M, PA
05-25-2004, 09:59 AM
If I understand corectly...there is a "dip" in the area surounding the repaired scratch. Sort of like a windshield distortion.

It`s probably there because you have sanded down the clear in that are and you are seeing the low spots.

If it were me, I`d stop noticing this, as to fix it you are going to need to cut the rest of the paint down to match.

jimmybuffit
05-25-2004, 10:45 AM
STOP Sanding.

Jim

rgilbert24
05-25-2004, 08:50 PM
I just recently did the same thing. Problem is that you try and sand a small area - ie just the paint blob area. So if you go too far it leaves an indent. So I`ve tried something differnet which works better.

1. Make sure the paint is above the rest of the surface (I`m sure you do that now)

2. When you wet sand be sure to use a block and wet sand a larger area but trying to sand to start with the top of the blob first. So say the blob of touchup is the size of half a dime. I now will sand an area which includes say 3/4 inch around it when i get close to having the blob being level with the rest of the paint (panel). Then when your finished you are not left with a small indent where the blob is (was). Yes, you do sand down some paint which does not need sanding but if you concentrate first on the top of the blob you will not be sanding down very much surrounding paint and the block will help keep the repaired area level with the rest of the panel.

Finish up with some compound and wax and it will be fery hared to see even in the light.

Hope that makes sense. Itworks for me and myc car is black (very unforgiving)