PDA

View Full Version : Re-attaching the velcro to the CMA pads???

blackntan
05-24-2004, 09:43 AM
Both of my white pads and my black polishing pad are starting to lose the velcro....

Does anyone have any tips for reattaching these? The pads themselves have at least another month of use on em, and I could sure benefit from saving the $$ for the time being....

Thanks!

Bobby G
05-24-2004, 10:41 AM
How many times have you used them and how are you washing them?

Contact cement will work, but don`t expect it to last very long. Put the contact cement on both sides and allow to get tacky before letting the two sides meet.

blackntan
05-24-2004, 11:43 AM
I`ve had em for about 6 months, and use em about once, maybe twice a month.

I wash and dry em using the gentle cycles with the washer and dryer.

any other tips? Is there a way to re-attach em permanantly?

Are any pads better at this than the CMA pads?

Bobby G
05-24-2004, 11:52 AM
Stop washing your pads in the machine. In fact, your best bet is to dedicate product to a pad and store the pad in a Ziploc baggie until it`s too dirty to use. Hand wash using dishwashing detergent (or a foam pad cleaner) and air dry.

blackntan
05-24-2004, 01:46 PM
Yeah, I figured that was part of the problem, and i`ve stopped that immedietly. I now do it the handwashing way.

However, I`m really in need of finding a way of re-attaching these pads if possible. I don`t have too many of em, and really need to be able to use what I have.

Has anyone had any luch with this, or are the pads generally trash after this?

Big Leegr
05-25-2004, 09:08 AM
I`ve used a cyanocrylate adhesive, and that seems to work well, although it does form a solid bond, not flexible, but since I`ve used it only for edges when the velcro started separating, it hasn`t really affected it much.

I`ve also read that some were using 3M`s spray adhesive with good results.

blackntan
05-25-2004, 09:57 AM
Hey bigleegr, where`d you pick up that adhesive?? Brand name??

TortoiseAWD
05-25-2004, 10:33 AM
blackntan,

Cyanocrylate is the generic name for Super Glue, Krazy Glue, etc.

Tort

blackntan
05-25-2004, 11:02 AM
got it. thanks.

Big Leegr
05-25-2004, 02:18 PM
Yeah, what Tort said.

jfelbab
05-25-2004, 06:36 PM
Being a runner, I had some of this around and it worked great. I used Shoe Goo to repair the pad and it is still in use today about three years later.

Waterproof and flexible, this is a really tough glue.

http://store5.yimg.com/I/villagestreetwear_1793_4884538

Spilchy
05-25-2004, 06:47 PM
Ha! My old man has been a runner for 30+ years and he has that shoo goo stuff! Once in a while the house will reak of it, It`s like cement when dry.

With my pads, I have found for some reason that the velcro looses it`s stickiness to the backing plate when enough heat is generated.

I let soak overnight in dilluted Simple Green, rinse well and rinse again in a bucket with vinegar. The pads hold their shape and the velcro is tight to the pad but it becomes fuzzy and like I mentioned, looses it`s stickiness.

Anyone else have an issue with the velcro holding on properly to the backing plate?

Bill D
05-25-2004, 06:51 PM
Uh oh, I just Dawn wash my pads and rinse, hope I`m not missing something I should be doing :confused:

TraderB
05-25-2004, 08:25 PM
I second Shoe Goo. It has worked well for me and did not know of anyone else who used it to now. Just let it dry outside!

Jesstzn
05-25-2004, 11:11 PM
I have had pads for my lil Simonize cordless lose the velcro and I used a spray adhesive called AIM Spray Bond Adhesive #B707 and it has worked exceptionally well .. all pads have been Hand washed with Dawn many times now .. all air dried in my home fabricated pad drying system.