PDA

View Full Version : AIO/SG Question?

NorcalZ71
05-23-2004, 04:27 PM
so from all the reading i`ve done, it sounds like im going to want to go with an AIO/SG combo topped with some carnuba like S100, souveran, P2S1 etc etc.

my question is, AIO is basically a chemically based cleaner, so i will have to proceed it with some form of swirl remover/polish to get rid of my scratchs and micro-marring, correct? what combo would you guys recommend to use before AIO/SG? hopefully, ill have my PC by that time.

imported_sjk95161
05-23-2004, 04:50 PM
I think it depends on the condition of your paint.

I just used a PC on my car, a 1996 Toyota Corolla Station Wagon, a daily driver. The car had moderate swirls and some scratches were too deep to get out with a PC. I used Poorboy`s SSR 2 followed by PI III MG, 2x AIO and 3x SG. I`ve received some nice comments on the car. I was very pleased with the Poorboy`s SSR 2; it was very easy to use. There have been some great comments on SSR 1 on this site. So, on my wife`s car (it`s had less care), I`ll be using SSR 2, SSR 1, 2xAIO and 2xSG.

Jngrbrdman
05-23-2004, 04:59 PM
I use AIO to clean the paint. If you need swirl removal, then AIO is not the product I would suggest. I would use AIO to remove any oils that are leftover from the swirl removal. I would suggest Meguiar`s DACP prior to AIO for proper swirl removal. Obviously there are way more products to choose from depending on how severe your swirls are, but DACP is a good choice that can handle most swirls.

imported_Malachi
05-23-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I use AIO to clean the paint. If you need swirl removal, then AIO is not the product I would suggest. I would use AIO to remove any oils that are leftover from the swirl removal. I would suggest Meguiar`s DACP prior to AIO for proper swirl removal. Obviously there are way more products to choose from depending on how severe your swirls are, but DACP is a good choice that can handle most swirls.

Can AIO remove the work of any swirl removers like #82,#83 or 1ZPP?

TIA

Jngrbrdman
05-23-2004, 07:52 PM
AIO won`t remove your swirl removing efforts. It will destroy any swirl filling efforts however. Products like #82 and 83 remove swirls. I don`t know if 1ZPP has fillers or not, but if it is anything like DACP then you shouldn`t notice any swirls returning after using AIO. If you have truely "removed" the swirl then using a paint cleaner is not going to bring it back. Only mother nature and improper detailing techinques will bring them back.

Accumulator
05-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Malachi- The AIO will at least partially remove the waxes/fillers/etc. that PP leaves behind. I`ve taken Gonzo`s advice and followed my 1Z polishes with Menzerna FP when I`m gonna use something like the Klasse twins. Only takes a second, works well.

But then I generally use 3M abrasives (without fillers) before AIO instead of the 1Z stuff.

imported_Malachi
05-24-2004, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Malachi- The AIO will at least partially remove the waxes/fillers/etc. that PP leaves behind. I`ve taken Gonzo`s advice and followed my 1Z polishes with Menzerna FP when I`m gonna use something like the Klasse twins. Only takes a second, works well.

But then I generally use 3M abrasives (without fillers) before AIO instead of the 1Z stuff.

I am not familiar with Menzerna FP.

Would #82 and #83 fall into that catagory of products that remove swirls and scratches without fillers?

Accumulator
05-24-2004, 11:39 AM
Malachi- Yes, as far as I know #83 and #82 don`t leave anything behind except for the "trade secret oils" which don`t seem to be a problem. They don`t rely on "fillers" so that won`t be a problem.

But some of us find some of Meg`s polishes trickier to use than other brands...

Bill D
05-24-2004, 11:46 AM
To be extra sure, I always sprayed a 50/50 isopropyl alcohol mix i between the 1z polish steps, then added FP then AIO :up