PDA

View Full Version : Sorry pictures with trees don`t impress me.

Pages : [1] 2 3

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-22-2004, 01:42 PM
So my silver car, freshly done with clay, AIO + SGx2 is parked in a lot under some trees and the reflection left me breathless. I`m thinking all those hours of pampering it since new (it`s now a year old) and minimal swirls has finally paid off and I get to enjoy the fruit of my labours. :cool:

Shortly after my buddy pulls up beside me (silver car also) under the same trees with the same reflection that also left me breathless. Only problem is his car is a 1995 Bonneville that I think may have been washed once at birth and oxidation is it`s middle name. The only time it sees water is when it rains.

Obviously my car looks better in any other conditions because it`s maintained and newer but I remember going :shocked everytime someone posted pictures of their cars underneath trees on this board or any other highly reflective background. I`m no longer impressed. Discuss amongst yourselves. :wavey

Jngrbrdman
05-22-2004, 02:34 PM
I`ve been saying that same thing for years. Get those black cars out of the shade and put them in the sun. Stop showing off how well the shady side of the car reflects brightly lit backgrounds. Its not that impressive. I would rather see the truely unforgiving angles that show what the car really looks like. Most of the imperfections on the paint aren`t visible in photographs anyway. I`ve taken lots of pictures where the shot doesn`t show nearly as much damage as what the car really had. The same goes for when I take after shots. The car never looks as good in pictures as it does in person. The pictures never show all the minor imperfections that I can see in person either.

Wet cement will reflect the trees and asphault will shine after it rains. A car in the shade reflecting something is just not as impressive as some might think. I`ve said it before... show me a black car that doesn`t reflect in the shade. Unless it is painted flat black then you can`t stop it. If the car has a clear coat then it will reflect. Tricky photography and certian angles don`t prove anything. If you have spent the work on the car to make it look good, then at least do yourself a favor and show us what you did. Don`t hide your work in the shade.

imported_pugoman
05-22-2004, 03:38 PM
I agree with you guys completely - take a look at this example...

1st shot shows a fairly nice reflection off the hood.

imported_pugoman
05-22-2004, 03:40 PM
This is a shot of the same hood taken about 20 seconds later from a different angle... nasty!

General Lee
05-22-2004, 03:49 PM
Perfect Example!

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Except for the colour that is pretty much the condition of the Bonneville`s paint in both situations. 1st picture-must be Zaino, 2nd picture-uhhh never mind.

BillNorth
05-22-2004, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by Jngrbrdman

I`ve been saying that same thing for years. Get those black cars out of the shade and put them in the sun. Stop showing off how well the shady side of the car reflects brightly lit backgrounds. Its not that impressive. I would rather see the truely unforgiving angles that show what the car really looks like. Most of the imperfections on the paint aren`t visible in photographs anyway. I`ve taken lots of pictures where the shot doesn`t show nearly as much damage as what the car really had. The same goes for when I take after shots. The car never looks as good in pictures as it does in person. The pictures never show all the minor imperfections that I can see in person either.

Wet cement will reflect the trees and asphault will shine after it rains. A car in the shade reflecting something is just not as impressive as some might think. I`ve said it before... show me a black car that doesn`t reflect in the shade. Unless it is painted flat black then you can`t stop it. If the car has a clear coat then it will reflect. Tricky photography and certian angles don`t prove anything. If you have spent the work on the car to make it look good, then at least do yourself a favor and show us what you did. Don`t hide your work in the shade.

Good to see you Anthony!

Well said, as always!!!

:bow :bow :bow

Bill. :up

6cyl's_of_fury
05-22-2004, 06:43 PM
Yeah, I have noticed this with my black car, particularly when it is dirty. Get the camera on the right angle and it looks immaculate, even in full sun shots! So essentially, I am not sure how you can verify if there is a lot of hardwork involved or not, but being such a great board as Autopia is, I tend to lend the benefit of doubt to all as we are all here to improve the asethics of our cars paint in some form or another....

But I know I would never post a pic of my car if it is looking crap, plus I do a lot of friends cars and Im sure they will let me know if they are happy with it or not. Havent had a complaint yet *touch wood*

Buick_guy
05-22-2004, 07:41 PM
When You look up close to paint, you`ll always know if its cared for or not. It is a simple fact that almost every car will look good from a large distance. Take for example our blazer, it is EXTREMELY dusty from a gravel road, but from our house, it looks like its just been washed.

I rest my case, ( if I have one) lmao.

rstype
05-22-2004, 07:45 PM
Yep! http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27223

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/372mvc798.jpg

FI2, #9, AIO, Z2, Souveran... not! :D

GoodnClean
05-22-2004, 10:04 PM
I`ve always just taken the photos I`ve seen here as pretty photos I enjoy seeing. I can be impressed by them while still realizing that photography seldom gives an accurate representation. I`ve never understood why people get so worked up about them being "unnatural".

Scottwax
05-22-2004, 10:21 PM
Jngrbrdman-these are just for you! Black in the sun!

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992000_F150_side_sun.jpg

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992004_Accord.jpg

I agree that angles, lighting, availability of object to reflect off the paint make a huge difference. Take this S500 for example. Just looks black from the front with minimal object to reflect off the paint:

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992004_S500_front.jpg

But from the back, the brick fence and plants/trees make the same car look like a black mirror.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/10992004_S500_rear.jpg

When I take pics of cars, I try to get them in the sun if possible but since they aren`t mine and I don`t always have too much leeway where I can move them to take pictures, or perhaps it is cloudy or the sun is behind a building, the cars end up in the shade. I do try to make sure the pictures I take accurately represent how the car looked at that moment.

I would also agree that a lot of times, the before and after differences don`t show up well on film unless the vehicle was in truly horrible shape. The passage of time and different lighting can also make it tough.

I do like seeing the pictures though. :)

imported_Intel486
05-23-2004, 01:36 AM
What about people that try to compare products with pictures. This is a picture with this product and this is a picture with this product.

I don`t see it too much here but on some other boards I do. Kind of annoying.

EldoradoBill
05-23-2004, 04:46 AM
Man , I thought I was the only one thinking in the same lines... I just bought a sears worklight to see my progress when I`m detailing in the garage. Its funny how much more shows up with the worklight. Now I can back my car up in the sunlight and feel confident. Anyways, there are millions of picture tricks you can do... but its what you know inside that will eat you up.

Scottwax
05-23-2004, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

What about people that try to compare products with pictures. This is a picture with this product and this is a picture with this product.

Same with before and after pics. Sometimes it is really hard to see the difference on film.