PDA

View Full Version : Spit shine your car - - - technique revisited

Pages : [1] 2 3

Nick T.
05-22-2004, 01:31 AM
Patent leather shoes have a mirror like reflectivity, but no depth to the shine - much like Zaino on a car. Spit shined shoes have the same mirror like reflectivity, but in addition have an unmatched richness of depth - much like a synthetic topped with a carnauba on your car. Additional spit shined layers add more and more depth.

The problem is how to add layers of shoe polish without softening/removing the underlying layers. Kiwi shoe polish (the choice of expert shoe shiners) has even more solvents than any automotive paste carnauba that I’ve ever used. Spit shining solves the solvent problem.

Some of you learned how to spit shine boots/shoes, but for the others I’ll briefly describe how a G.I. spit shines his boots. You need a pair of boots, a can of Kiwi, a bag of cotton balls, and some water. Wet the cotton ball and squeeze out most of the water. Get a very small amount of wax on the cotton ball and wipe it onto the boot - continue wiping until there is no more smudging. Add a little more wax an repeat. Remoisten the cotton ball as needed so that it leaves tiny beads of water on the boots. When the cotton ball retains too much wax, then use a new cotton ball. It takes several layers (maybe 6 to 10 or more) to achieve that mirror shine. It’s obvious that the wax builds layers because enough flexing of the leather will cause the wax to flake.

Many months ago there was a lot of discussion about whether or not it is possible to layer carnauba on a car. I knew from experience that you could do it on shoes, so I started experimenting on my car. I quickly found out that using the normal wax application technique didn’t work - the new wax just softened and smeared the old wax. Then I tried using very thin layers of carnauba and waiting a day between layers, and this gave decent results. Next I tried using a spit shining technique on a small area of bare Zaino. This gave excellent results, but was very tedious.

A year ago I made a post (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23148&perpage=22&pagenumber=1) on Autopia about this technique. Since then I’ve been playing with different methods in an attempt to make the process at least a little less tedious, and here is what I’m doing now.

Supplies needed: a low solvent paste carnauba such as SouverÃn or S-100/P21S; a 4†square of microfiber; a spray bottle that puts out a fine mist - not large drops; distilled water; a couple of MF towels. Keep the spray bottle/water in the refrigerator (thanks Brian-4DSC).

Method: Dampen the MF square and load it with just enough wax to thinly cover a small area - 1/4 hood or 1/2 door. Wipe it onto the work area and continue wiping until most of the wax disappears. Mist lightly as needed to keep a few water droplets on the surface. Move to the next work area and repeat. Now to the third work area. For the fourth step go back and redo the first area. Next do area four, then two, then five, then three, then six, etc. After you do the final area you’ll have a car with a lot of spots of hazed wax - but not to worry. Lightly mist an area with the cold water - 1/2 hood or door - and lightly buff with a MF towel. Turn the towel frequently. When the towel becomes damp switch to a new towel. After 24 hours you can repeat the procedure, and each time it increases the depth of the shine.

I don’t have an objective method of measuring the hardness of the spit shined carnauba, but subjectively - - bug removal is very nearly as easy as it is with only Zaino on the front of the car.

This is not a method for those of you who wash your car once a week and wax once a month, but it is great if you QD every day and seldom wash the car. I have had the best results with Pinnacle Crystal Mist QD which I keep in the refrigerator.

As always, YMMV!

dcswd
05-22-2004, 02:16 AM
Interesting. How does keeping the water cold help the process?

Nick T.
05-22-2004, 01:13 PM
dcswd - - -

Your guess is as good as mine! I was a teenage recruit when I was taught how to spit shine boots, and a semi-senile old man when Brian told me about the cold water - - - and during the intervening fifty plus years I’ve never stopped to consider how the process works.

Accumulator
05-22-2004, 08:34 PM
Nick- Just wanted to give you a :xyxthumbs for this info.

I wonder how many people even spit-shine their footwear these days...properly shined shoes seem few and far between. I learned it from an old shoe-shine guy (who learned in the service), and now I`m learning how to do it on cars from you :D

AlanP
05-22-2004, 10:12 PM
Others on this board have suggested using a slightly damp MF followed by a dry MF to remove Klasse SG. I`m grateful to the inventor of that "two-towel" method because it works just great! It renders the task of removing SG a joy instead of a headache.

I`m wondering if the two-towel method qualifies as a kind of spit-shine? I was also wondering if the damp MF removes a great deal of the SG, diminishing the durability.

Bobby G
05-22-2004, 10:45 PM
Okay, let me give you all something new to talk about. I don`t think I have ever mentioned this wax and I don`t recall seeing it mentioned.

... Pink Carnauba.... http://www.beautyshine.com/car-wax/paste-wax.html

It does exactly what they say it will; it will carry a very heavy wax load. If you want to spit-shine your car, this is the wax you want.

db

imported_Intel486
05-23-2004, 01:12 AM
I`ve never seen that Pink wax before. I`m in the process of ordering detailing supplies so I might have to add that to my list of products to get to try.

Of course... I`ve spin shined enough shoes I`m not sure I want to start on vehicles... And I`ve gotten some pretty thick coats of shoe polish on shoes before. Sometimes when I got a knick or scratch in my layers of polish and didn`t want to lose all the layers I built up I`d just keep adding layers untill I filled it in... Man, I was insane...

Bobby G
05-23-2004, 01:53 AM
Originally posted by Intel486

I`ve never seen that Pink wax before...

The old dog still has a few tricks up his sleeve... I can`t let them out all at once.

Nick T.
05-26-2004, 06:31 PM
The big brown truck delivered my can of Pink Carnauba Paste Wax from BKB Automotive Cosmetics a few hours ago. I’ve been playing with it on my Chili Red MINI Cooper and so far it looks to be promising. I’ll post more tomorrow after I get more play time under my belt.

Thanks for the heads-up David!

Buick_guy
05-26-2004, 08:01 PM
What the heck is spit shining? I`ve never heard of it!!! And whats all this about polishing your shoes?:S

Nick T.
05-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Buick_guy

What the heck is spit shining? I`ve never heard of it!!! And whats all this about polishing your shoes?:S

Spit shining is the technique that is used to make shoes shine like mirrors - - and some of those tricks can be applied to putting carnauba on your car`s paint.

Spilchy
05-26-2004, 08:14 PM
My grandfather sold shoes for more years than the ages of everyone in this post combined! I sure know how to polish a shoe - spit shine and all! I remember having to stand before him as a kid every time I got a new pair. Even in his old age, he would bend down and examine the fit and either give a thumbs up or thumbs down. Geez, I haven`t thought about that in years!

Many times with my carnauba application I spritz my applicator with Eagle One Wet n Shine and do two light coats, allowing the first coat to just about haze up before I apply the second coat, one section at a time. On removal I spritz the EO on the surface and buff off with a MF. If I am using Souveran, I use the PCM QD. This is my personal "spit shine" method.

imported_Intel486
05-26-2004, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by Buick_guy

It`s how guys in the military get that mirror like finish on their shoe... Man, that`s some fun work right there :rolleyes:

CHScholl
05-27-2004, 12:44 AM
During my army days I wasa lways proud of the sucessful spitshing I accomplished on not only my low quaters and booots but also the bill on my dress uniform hat.

However, this spit shine always faded in less than a day when exposed to mid supper sun and heat in Fort Knox,KY.

So before I`d devote hours and hours doing this to a full car I`d definately do a duration test of one patch.

One last thougth on spit shining, a n old trick was to wite a feshly polished shoe with a five day deodorant pad. It achieven the very same results as hours with a cotton ball and Kiwi.

Prehaps the pink wax +5 day migh be a short cut. Who would dare to say it stank ?

Nick T.
05-27-2004, 02:36 AM
I’ve posted my review of Pink Carnauba Wax here (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38425).

CHScholl - - - I served for 20 years, at times in some pretty hot climates, and never had a problem with the shine fading due to the heat.