PDA

View Full Version : Detailing advice needed

ACURA95
05-22-2004, 12:35 AM
Im newbee when it comes to posting in this forum but I have been reading all of your posts and boy does it seem like you guys know what your talking about. The last thing i want to do is to continue to oversaturate the amount of questions on buffers but I must. I am going to purchase a Pc 724 from coastal or a dewalt 849. Before you answer Im already aware of the differences between the two and I know the Pc is much safer but Im short on cash and I might need might need a rotary to get the paint back. Last time I hand buffed it, it came out okay but had more swirls then you could possibly imagine. By the way I tried bringing it to a professional shop and the job they do lasts for a week. I would rather learn how to do it right myself because Im my own worst criticAny advice would be greatly appreciated.

ALAN81
05-22-2004, 10:04 AM
NEWBEE=PORTER CABLE if you are short on cash try LOWES they sell it for $109 if you can wait go to LOWES.com sign up and get a 10% discount coupon mailed to your house.that makes it 109-11 under $100 and tax that is the cheapest I can think of and you have a great machine with years to come

andriver
05-22-2004, 10:12 AM
Agree with Alan81. Unless you already have experience with a rotary, you may end up damaging your paint.

imported_Macgirl
05-22-2004, 10:54 AM
Agreed.....If you can`t afford the PC, stick to doing it by hand.

ncal
05-22-2004, 11:38 AM
I agree. The only way to use a rotary is practicing on a beater/spare hood/etc. Definately not a tool to learn and detail your whole care with quickly. Also, keep in mind for 100 bucks you`re just getting the PC. You`ll eventually (or very quickly) want pads, a velcro backing plate, 6`` counter weight, etc.

ACURA95
05-22-2004, 02:12 PM
Alan,

I think I might be better off buying the 7424 at coastaltool.com because it comes with an additional 6" backing plate and counterweight for 119.00.

I was also going to get a set of pads from http://properautocare.com/padkitwoveba.html. Does anybody have any experience with this set or how durable they are?

ALAN81
05-22-2004, 03:25 PM
ACURA sounds good to me, I was just telling you the cheapest way I know of.There are a few suppliers that have PC packages that will give you backing plates and a few items AUTOPIA and DETAILERS PARADISE are two that I know of GOOD LUCK also costal tool sells a lot of pieces for the PC

Lead Car
05-23-2004, 04:12 PM
I did my first auto Sat. I went and looked at the 7224 and I found it it to be very heavy and awkward for me. I found a small 6"

pc at Auto Zone for twenty bucks. I like the size and the ability to get into tight places. It worked fine and I am totally pleased with it. If you are going to be using a pc every week or commercially you would probably want the 7224 model.

dpreuss
05-23-2004, 05:01 PM
I would go with a PC 7336. It`s the same machine as the 7424, but with a 6in counterweight, which you will want when you upgrade to 6 in. pads. I picked mine up at lowes for $115. Hope I helped.

Accumulator
05-23-2004, 05:50 PM
ACURA95- You`re smart to get the PC first. Sometimes even experts need to follow up their rotary work with a PC/Cyclo, so that`s the tool to get first.

Instead of a pre-selected set of pads, I`d just get some cutting pads (maybe 2), some polishing pads (maybe 4) and some finishing pads (maybe 2). I`m not a fan of some things that come in that kit, including the wool pad and the terry bonnets.

Gettng plenty of pads will ensure that you have what you need...things happen. The major brands of pads all hold up pretty well.

You might also look at the pads TOL (http://www.topoftheline.com/index.html) sells. As I recall, they have good shipping rates, and Irene runs a good company; I like to send business her way. But again, buy the exact pads you need, not something a vendor puts together. I`d avoid "special" pads, especially when you`re just starting out.

ACURA95
05-23-2004, 06:11 PM
accumulator-

What you say makes alot of sense and since Im new at using a PC I wasnt sure which pads would be the most useful. Thats why I was looking at starter kits, but from your experience I guess some of those pads in the kits are hardly if ever useful.

Lead car- which model Pc did you buy for 20 bucks. Theres an autozone right by me and thats the best price I ever heard for any kind of Pc.