PDA

View Full Version : Please help me with these swirls...!!!

gto78
05-22-2004, 12:02 AM
this pic is AFTER i used my PC set on 4 with PFIII and AIO, and SG, and poorboys ex-p....`

i applied the PFIII with yellow foam pad, and AIO with both yellow foam, and then white foam. then applied SG with white pad, and then with a finishing pad. Then applied EX-P by hand.

gto78
05-22-2004, 12:08 AM
BTW i`ve been trying all week on my hatchback to get rid of the same marks. After a week of trying, i ended up using PFIII with a rotary, then SSR2 with the rotary, then ssr2 on a random orbital, and ssr1 on an orbital..... now in the sunlight it`s almost all gone in most places... i`m about to give up and finish it with aio, sg, and ex-p

Accumulator
05-22-2004, 12:01 PM
gto78- I think you`re already figuring it out- use a rotary when you need one.

When you use a cutting pad on the PC, you usually need to follow up with the same product and a polishing pad. Sometimes you gotta made very gradual, incremental moves from coarse to fine. Notice how this isn`t as big an issue with the rotary in the equation.

Oh, and I always use speed 6 to polish with the PC.

gto78
05-22-2004, 12:09 PM
really? speed 6? ok i`ll do that next. I was afraid of goin too hard on it. I`ll consider that in my case, with the spider swirls on my paint, that i need the rotary/PFIII followed by pc speed 6 / ssr2 polishing pad, then ssr1 polishing pad, then aio polishing pad, then sg by hand and ex-p by hand... that should take me about a year, but it`ll be worth it to me. thanks

also, do i have to wait overnight to apply the ex-p?

gto78
05-22-2004, 12:10 PM
OR maybe i should do ssr1 with finishing pad and then sg with finishing pad? so many choices

Mr Monk
05-22-2004, 12:17 PM
gto78. . . I`ve had good success with my PC and 3M Machine Polish (39003). I use an Orange pad and speed between 5 - 6. The orange pad gives a little more cutting power.

I keep coming back to the 3M machine polish. Always works for me. But whatever product you use the secret lies in really "working" the product till it`s almost dry and just a fine powder remaining. As Accumulator said, it`s a gradual thing. Don`t expect to eliminate swirls and scratches with just one pass. Sometimes it takes 2 or 3 applications.

For me, when using 39003 I can usually go right to a wax, it really leaves a nice clean surface with that "wet look" that we treasure so much.

gto78
05-22-2004, 02:16 PM
thats one more thing i`ll probably pick up at the local supply store. I have a small collection starting, and once I figure out what works for me, I`ll narrow down my supplies to just keeping the things that work.

gto78
05-22-2004, 02:21 PM
heres one from the same day, but at a different angle.... the swirls are intense one direction and invisible the other direction.

stevet
05-22-2004, 10:44 PM
gto78, Perfect it III is a line of products from 3M. What one are you using? Machine Glaze, Rubbing compound, Extra Cut Rubbing Compound? There is a big range in how abrasive the products are in that line.

gto78
05-23-2004, 06:38 AM
oh yeah i forgot to mention which one....lol i used the extra cut on areas where i had either severe water spots that wouldnt go away, and in areas that had scratches or deep swirls. after i used it is when suddenly the other products like ssr2 and ssr1 or AIO finally started doing their jobs as well.

Accumulator
05-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Sounds like your on the right track now. I`m finding that things go best when I do more work with the rotary and only a little with the PC. Very mild products and pads can work wonders with the rotary.

And with the PC, I`d use polishing pads with polishes. Some people like a light final pass with a finishing pad, but it`s not like the polishing one won`t leave a perfect finish. Using the SSR1 with a finishing pad might just be a waste of time. So use that with a polishing pad, AIO with a polishing pad, SG with a finishing pad.

gto78
05-23-2004, 02:13 PM
great, thats what my personal opinion was... I personally was seeing that using the finishing pad didnt really do anything for the apearance, but just made working in the wax a lot easier.