PDA

View Full Version : Which Sealant on Dark Metallic Grey?

Dave N
05-21-2004, 10:43 PM
Oh the humanity! I have a new truck and can`t decide what to use on it. I originally thought I`d go back to AIO/SG, after not using them for about 2 years. Then I thought I might use Zaino, but then again I have some 2 oz. samples of FMJ sitting on the shelf. Next I decided that I would use what I have been using on everything else this year -- #80 speed glaze and UPP. BUT I JUST CANT DECIDE!!! :wall

The metal flake in this paint is much more pronounced than what is in my Toyota, so I want to accent that. But I just had a bad run-in with a bunch of bugs last night and really want something slick. Right now I`m leaning towards Zaino over an AIO base. Here`s what I have available...

AIO/SG & Sonus QD

Z2/Z5/Z6/ZFX

UPP & UGE QD

FMJ (sealant & glaze) - 2 oz. each

ZFX

If I decide against the Zaino, I`ll probably go with the #80/UPP combo and then play around with the FMJ on a panel or two later.

B4Zâ„¢
05-21-2004, 11:20 PM
i love the way Z2 brings at the flakes in my pewter Z28

a.k.a. Patrick
05-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Are you stuck with what you currently have available ? Some other options...Blackfire, UPP, Wolfgang, although personally i dont think the latter two have the bite BF does for dark cars.....

percynjpn
05-22-2004, 09:20 AM
How about Glanz; metallic is it`s forte!

andriver
05-22-2004, 09:45 AM
I like both BF & Glanz on my wife`s black Mustang. Both make the paint look wet.

Dave N
05-22-2004, 06:59 PM
Thanks for the replies. I forgot to put Blackfire on my list of available sealants - I have the polish and sealant, but not the QD. I love to try Wolfgang, but I figure that I`ve spent enough money on detailing supplies for a while.

I`ll probably go with Zaino, and maybe play around with others after that. Right now I`m trying to finish up a remodeling job on a house I bought last Oct 31st. It`s soon to be 7 months since I bought the house and I`ve yet to move in, so detailing is taking a back seat right now.

boywonder
05-22-2004, 08:18 PM
Dave, is the charcoal similar to this?

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/540post-wash_1-med.jpg

or

http://www.autopia.org/gallery/data/500/540post_souveran_side_sm.jpg

Both instances have Klasse on them. Howeve, the top one is my `94 with the AIO/SG and the shot of the `02 is just AIO/Souveran.

Dave N
05-23-2004, 11:12 PM
Thanks Prinz. Yeah, from what I can tell of your pics, my truck is about that color. Maybe a little darker. In full sunlight it looks grey, but in the shade or with low light it looks black. I really like the color so far.

If I don`t go with Zaino maybe I`ll give Klasse a try. I used AIO/SG on my toyota back in 2001, but haven`t used that combo since. I use AIO for quite a few other things though.

Scottwax
05-24-2004, 01:01 AM
#80 Speed Glaze, Vanilla Moose and EX-P = teh new hotness!

I`ve started using that as my 3 step process lately and like it on every color I have used it on.

maecrispy
05-24-2004, 06:23 AM
I haven`t used #80 but I have to second the VM/EX-P combo.

I just removed WG from my silver TL and put VM/EX-P on. Wonderful look. Very clear ala Zaino but with depth. On black, it really does have that dipped in oil look. On silver metallic, it looks...glassy and clear.

I really think this combo will look especially good on metallic paints. It`s so clear it really allows the metallic flakes to pop out at you. The VM adds depth while still being very clear (and very easy to use, I might add.)

Jademonkey
05-24-2004, 08:02 PM
Your paint color sounds alot like my Cosmos Black paint. It sometimes looks grey, and others it looks black. On mine I use

Klasse SG topped with a high quality carnuba wax(P21S usually). This seems to give me the best look, out of all the methods Ive tried.