PDA

View Full Version : QD: different application technique

audio1der
05-21-2004, 08:29 AM
In my pre-Autopia days, I didn`t know how to correctly apply QD. I would spray it on a wax applicator, apply, let it dry and buff off.

The shine was SO good, I`m thinking of going back to that method.

Anyone else ever try this?

BTW, it was with Mothers showtime on perfectly clean, cool paint.

:nixweiss

a.k.a. Patrick
05-21-2004, 09:00 AM
I think the feeling is when its sprayed on a car, and wiped with a MF, there is enough spreading of the product to satisfy most minds.......Im curious as to why you would go back to that method, are there any benefits doing that, oppossed to a MF ?

audio1der
05-21-2004, 09:05 AM
I just am not getting the same gloss.

Using a carnauba-like QD such as Showtime, I can understand why leaving it and buffing off (with an MF,of course!) would result in a freshly waxed look.

I feel like I`m just wiping the QD away with little effect when used normally.

beanbag
05-22-2004, 02:33 AM
My current theory is that part of the gloss from using a QD comes from smoothing the surface. Currently, I spray the QD on a MF towel, and rub it over the surface in rapid back-and-forth strokes.

zesty-man
05-22-2004, 04:22 AM
just wondering, by rubbing a mildly dirty surface, dont you risk rubbing dirt into your paint, creating swilr marks? been there, done that. only problem was, i was usin a terry cloth back then (when i was a younger padawan)

beanbag
05-22-2004, 06:03 AM
umm, I don`t QD a dirty car

zesty-man
05-22-2004, 01:23 PM
oh, what happens after it rains? do you just wash it completely?

imported_eggroll
05-22-2004, 02:07 PM
They are talking about using a QD right after a wash, not actually cleaning the car with QD.

GearHead_1
05-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by zesty-man

oh, what happens after it rains? do you just wash it completely?

Uhhh... yeah. If there is anything on my finish that a California Duster won`t easily remove it`s time for a wash. The type of dirt that most rainstorms leave on a finish can`t be removed with a CD.

Soarer V
05-23-2004, 04:40 AM
Quote:

In my pre-Autopia days, I didn`t know how to correctly apply QD. I would spray it on a wax applicator, apply, let it dry and buff off.

The shine was SO good, I`m thinking of going back to that method.

Anyone else ever try this?

BTW, it was with Mothers showtime on perfectly clean, cool paint.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Use whatever works:up

What if you applied a spray wax, wouldn`t you achieve greater results? Your going through the same motions anyway.:nixweiss

roadman
05-23-2004, 07:32 AM
Some QD`s contain more wax that others. NXT booster wax and PB`s QD+ (carnauba) have more wax in them than other products such as #34.

These booster wax products take a bit longer to use and need more caution with overspaying them when they are applied.