PDA

View Full Version : Cigarette smell removal

imported_screemingtp
05-20-2004, 09:20 AM
I am going to detail a Mercedes truck who the owner smokes. I just checked it out yesterday and the interior besides it being dirty has a strong cigarette smell. What could I do to remove this smell.

Thanks

majik1
05-20-2004, 09:32 AM
megs odor eliminator damp spray all carpet, uholstery, and headliner..4 bucks.....or rent an ozone generator for 25 to 30 bucks...

togwt
05-20-2004, 09:48 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Obvious guy says- “Use the search featureâ€

Nice guy says-

http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8604&highlight=Cigarette+smell+removal

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/Jon

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

ncal
05-20-2004, 09:51 AM
Cigarette smell removal can be done but it takes a lot of work and time. If you are detailing the vehicle also make sure that this an `extra` cost as the attempt will take you awhile. You noted that the smell is from the owner who smokes, does he still do so? If so, I wouldn`t even worry about the smel : P

percynjpn
05-20-2004, 10:36 AM
I just put a lot of effort into a 2000 model-year Mazda that`s in perfect condition, but REEKED of cig. smoke. Cleaning EVERYTHING you can get to, from head liner to the underside of seats will make a big difference.

Changing the filters in the AC also made a huge difference. When you aren`t using a deodorizer/vinegar/ etc., keep the windows open. If you spray the interior with Fabreeze (spelling?)/ etc., keep the windows closed for a day or two.

After about two months of effort, the smell has basically gone.

Someone recently recommended leaving containers of vanilla extract in the car.

Good Luck!

Sirslap2
05-20-2004, 11:09 AM
I just dealt with this and hit it with every recommended approach:

1. Baking soda in the carpet and a tray of it in the cab.

2. Vanilla in a rag and it a tray in the cab (smelt like smoky vanilla then).

3. Fabreeze the headliner (not keen on the smell but diminished after awhile).

4. Clean the carpeting with an extractor

So what do I think really worked best?

1. Get a spray bottle and put in a diluted cleaner - I used Meguiars Extra. Spray the headliner until damp and dab with a microfibre cloth - don`t rub or you will pell the liner.

2. The BEST was cleaning the interior plastic with Meguiars #40.

Not only did it remove dirt (probably nicotene) that Extra left behind, but it replaced the smell with almost a new car smell.

I couldn`t find an ozone generator but as one person stated it is readily available and free in the air - so roll down the windows.

65redcorvette
05-20-2004, 11:35 AM
Unfortunately I smoke as well(sorry). Megs Odor Eliminator is the best stuff I have ever found. It eliminates the odor and has some kind of stuff in it that keeps the odor away for a week or two.

joburnet
05-20-2004, 12:46 PM
For people that smoke I`ve heard that the Csonka air purifiers work very well.

http://www.csonka.com/beta/BusProdlist_purifier.html