PDA

View Full Version : Easiest car colours to maintain?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-19-2004, 09:43 PM
OK I`ll be looking for a fun car in the future but since I`ll be anal on how the paint looks I want some opinions from you all regarding the colour.

Specifically regarding marring and swirl marks (dirt I can handle since it will be washed often). Just want something that wouldn`t be high maintenance like black.

Silver is out since that is the colour of my daily driver and I don`t like white and black is out for obvious reasons. The car will probably be either a 350Z, G35 coupe or the new Mustang. So with the choice of cars my colour choice would be like this:

Yellow(Mustang)

Gray(all)

Blue(all)

Red (all)

Burgandy(Mustang)

Dark Green(Mustang)

Burnt Orange(350Z)

Now for those of you who are bored can you indulge me by ranking from best to worst the cars that better hide swirl marks, marring, spider webs, scratches etc....

My last 2 cars were silver so I can`t go by previous experience. I would think yellow and gray would be best but I want your opinions. This car would not see winter and be garaged most of the time and would be waxed regularly. Your opinion really matters because I will probably be basing my decision on your input and this is my midlife crises car so I don`t want to get a colour I`m going to regret.:doh

LouisanaJeeper
05-19-2004, 09:52 PM
I would go with Dark Shadow Grey (dark graphite) or Red on the stang. Yellow and burgundy looks disgusting IMHO and the blue is just about black so you will get lots of swirls. You better shop quick on the stang, so you have your choice of colors, they are no longer shipping new ones out to dealers.

I like the cobalt blue on the Z`s

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-19-2004, 10:00 PM
Actually I meant the 2005 Stang.

c.cmbrodbeck@su
05-19-2004, 10:01 PM
that Burnt Orange on the 350Z is one of the greatest colors evarr!!

so nice...

plus i think it would hide dirt like silver would, and light enough when clean to hide imperfections.

-Chad.

PFDarkside
05-19-2004, 10:10 PM
Anything metallic is easier to maintain in my book. My green metallic truck looks really nice with just a coat of wax, where as the black Trans Am really needs attention. For my next daily driver I`m definately going with a dark gray metallic. It looks so sharp, but the metallic makes swirl marks so much harder to see than black or red.

andriver
05-19-2004, 10:16 PM
I would vote for gray or blue.

BillNorth
05-19-2004, 10:50 PM
Dan,

If you`re going to stck with Klasse as your sealant, then go with blue. Klasse looks incredible on blue. No doubt about it! I think swirls would be equally visible on all colours you have mentioned. Anything dark, metallic or not, will show swirls. Silver is in a league of it`s own when it comes to swirl hiding. No other colour can match it, IMHO.

Bill.

imported_Yosemite Dan
05-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Bill, I`ll probably experiment with carnaubas mainly (SG will get a try for sure at the very least as a base) because I won`t be particularly concerned with durability as I would be waxing monthly or so. I`m so tempted to go with silver as it looks great on almost every car and almost trouble free but I figure I need a contrast in the driveway). You did mention something awhile back somewhere about SG\green not being a good combo. What didn`t appeal to you about it as opposed to blue.

I thought this might turn into a colour popularity contest. I value your opinions on that as well as the maintenance comments. Keep it coming Autopians.

Mike_Phillips
05-19-2004, 11:33 PM
Clear coated silver metallic

I used to take care of a very authentic A.C. Cobra for a gentleman that builds A.C. Cobra replicas. I buffed his black Cobra out about every 6 months or more often for about 6 years.

(He loved having a show car finish, but he thrashed is Cobra)

After paying me about the 5th or 6th time to remove the scratches and restore the finish, he asked me what color to paint his car that the scratches wouldn`t show up so he wouldn`t have to have a private detailer on his payroll. (Cary had absolutely no talent to touch his own finish, sorry Cary).

I told him silver metallic.

Mike

Scottwax
05-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Grey, silver or tan. All the color of dirt so even when your car is dirty it won`t look bad. Plus, any scratches won`t be as noticable.

Mike_Phillips
05-19-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Grey, silver or tan. All the color of dirt so even when your car is dirty it won`t look bad. Plus, any scratches won`t be as noticable.

I think that`s a paint chip color code...

Dirt Color 4778659DP

:D :D :D

MIke

Scottwax
05-19-2004, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Mike Phillips

I think that`s a paint chip color code...

Dirt Color 4778659DP

:D :D :D

MIke

Perfect! My next car will be that color!

GoodnClean
05-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Burgundy looks disgusting? I disagree ;)

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/albums/ES/Lexdet1.jpg

http://us.lexusownersclub.com/albums/ES/Lexdet4.jpg

I think that the right shade of burgundy can be one of the best looking colors on a car.

I agree with the idea that anything metallic helps to hide swirls. My dad`s LS is a color called Flint Mica which is a dark dark grey with all kinds of weird color specks. Good and dark but the pearl and metallic hides marrs. Even metallic black helps. I take care of a new BMW 530i with black paint that has a very slight metallic to it that even helps a lot.

PakShak
05-20-2004, 01:46 AM
Black...yeah right! ;)

Seriously, I would have to say silver.

With Aloha,

Ranney :)

majik1
05-20-2004, 06:28 AM
i vote for non-skid