PDA

View Full Version : MF wash mitt = bad?

craigw133
05-19-2004, 08:33 PM
I did a search for "QEW" to learn more about the product and I just so happened to stumble across a thread about MF Wash Mitts. The majority of the posters said that they don`t trust MF mitts simply because the nature of MF and its tendency to trap dirt too well, so well that the dirt cannot be rinsed out in the rinsing bucket. Most of the veteran posters actually preferred using sheep mitts over anything else and would only use MF to clean the interior and windows.

What`s confusing me is that I was told that sheep/wool mitts (are wool mitts and sheep mitts the same?) can and will cause swirls in the paint which is why I stopped using my sheep mitt a long time ago.

What would be a good "tool" to use when washing a dark colored car like mine? I bought a MF mitt not too long ago from TOTL and actually used it for the first time last week...I thought that it worked pretty well.

:nixweiss

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Matt

a.k.a. Patrick
05-19-2004, 08:39 PM
What would be a good "tool" to use when washing a dark colored car like mine? I bought a MF mitt not too long ago from TOTL and actually used it for the first time last week...I thought that it worked pretty well.

You answered your own question.......

craigw133
05-19-2004, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

You answered your own question.......

Just because I thought it worked pretty well doesn`t neccessarily mean that`ll it`ll keep working well in the long run (i.e. the more I use it, the more micromarring and swirling it may cause over an extended period of time).

6cyl's_of_fury
05-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Use your eyes, they dont lie!

If it is causing micro-marring, you will see it. Then you should re-assess your technique and tools and move on from there with the appropriate adjustments.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.

Soarer V
05-19-2004, 09:04 PM
Do you do a 2+ bucket wash?

craigw133
05-19-2004, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by 6cyl`s_of_furyUse your eyes, they dont lie!

If it is causing micro-marring, you will see it. Then you should re-assess your technique and tools and move on from there with the appropriate adjustments.

But what about long term use? I didn`t bother to check for micro-marring the first time I used it and couldn`t tell afterwards since I clayed, and polished using a PC right after the wash. What I was referring to in my above post as "working well" was the ease of getting rid of the grime and what not on my car...I should have been more clearer...sorry guys! :(

Originally posted by Soarer V

Do you do a 2+ bucket wash?

Yes.

TN9thSi
05-19-2004, 09:53 PM
I have used a sheepskin mit for years with no ill effects. You just have to be sure to use the 2 bucket method and make sure no grit gets stuck in the fibers. You should also not wash the lower rocker panels with the smae mit as the rest of the car. I have two; one for the upper areas (hood, roof, trunk, upper doors) and one for the lower rocker panels and everything BELOW the lowest body line on the car.

Chalky
05-19-2004, 10:43 PM
I use the microfiber mitts and I haven`t seen any problems. Surely no more that sheepskin or wool mitts.

eecc
05-19-2004, 11:42 PM
I use a mf wash mitt...I`m on my 2nd pair and they work great!

I hav a black car btw and the mitts dont cause any marring or scratching.

imported_FLAWLESS
05-19-2004, 11:46 PM
I`ve been using MF mitts for maybe 3 years now, mainly on my black, swirl free vehicle. I have never induced swirls with the mitts, either while QEWing or regular washing. I am extremely careful, constantly switching sides of the mitt every 2`x2` area or so, and rinsing often. I also LOOK at the mitt constantly, and pick out any foreign material as I see it. If you`re very careful, I think it is one of the better choices for a wash mitt. If you`re not a careful person, maybe its not a good choice? :nixweiss Works for me though.

GoodnClean
05-20-2004, 01:33 AM
I use MF mitts also and have not experienced any problems.

madazskunk
05-20-2004, 01:36 AM
You should check out autopias new sonus cotton microfiber mitt. I just qew`d my gf`s filthy pt cruiser and was very impressed. The bucket of water was filthy black when i was done but the mitt came out pretty clean and you can see the dirt releasing after every wipe because the mitt is white. I was very impressed.

percynjpn
05-20-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by 6cyl`s_of_fury

Use your eyes, they dont lie!

Right On !!

imported_memnuts
05-20-2004, 10:59 AM
I use a Chenille loop MF mit from Exceldetail :xyxthumbs and it works wonderfully. I use is like a rag rather than a mit because of the size of my hands tends to thin out the MF loop density. User problem not tool problem. Another great product for washing with a MF materialed product is DFTowel (natural) medium MF and PB`s terry MF. Both are plush enough that any captured curd is deep in the pile avoiding any possiblity of secondary surface marring.