PDA

View Full Version : hand application

Farenuff
05-19-2004, 04:22 PM
I`m very new to the world of detailing and have a quick question. While applying both polish and wax by hand should i go in circles as the istructions indicate? I could see this as not being a very effective way to fill swirls. Suggestions?

Thanks

maypo
05-19-2004, 05:05 PM
Always go in the direction the winds travels over you car.

No circles, no back and forth.

I too am a newbie and have learned a lot from the "learn" button at the top of the page. Check it out and print out the pages for bathroom reading.....

beanbag
05-19-2004, 06:15 PM
I find that wax and polishes spread better and more evenly if you go in circles. I used to do that "straight lines" thing, but it was a PITA. However, for washing, where there is a higher chance of dirt around, I go in straight lines.

Accumulator
05-19-2004, 06:34 PM
Assuming your surface and applicator are both clean, you can just use whatever motions ensure the best, most complete, most uniform, most [whatever], coverage/application of your product.

As long as you`re not inducing any marring (through contamination of surface or applicator) it doesn`t matter. PCs, Cyclos, and rotaries don`t go straight front-to-back and they do a great job. Like a machine, your hand can move in any direction as long as you`re not marring the surface.

It`s when you *do* mar the surface that the direction matters- straight, front-to-back scratches are less noticeable than circular ones. Since some marring is almost inevitable with *most* washing methods, that`s why it does make sense to wash in a front-to-back motion.