PDA

View Full Version : Sheepskin wash mitt longevity?

Pages : [1] 2

trueblueblood
05-19-2004, 12:12 PM
How long do your sheepskin wash mitts last and how do you know when its time to retire them to underbody and wheels? How do you wash and dry your mitts for best performance?

Thanks

andriver
05-19-2004, 12:30 PM
My wash mitts usually last about 3-4 months of use. I will rinse them out after each use and let them dry on a hanger. I will machine wash them about every 4th use.

They are cheap and effective.

imported_pugoman
05-19-2004, 12:35 PM
I renew my upper bodywork washmitt every 4 months - old ones work their way down to lower bodywork, then wheels and wheel wells etc...

I rinse mine out by blasting them with the hose to get out any bits of grit then hang on the washing line to air dry.

fusionnv
05-19-2004, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by true blue blood

How long do your sheepskin wash mitts last and how do you know when its time to retire them to underbody and wheels? How do you wash and dry your mitts for best performance?

Thanks

I got the viking one, had it for a year now, wash my car almost every week with it except winter. It still looks almost brand new like when I bought it. I just clean it well and let it soak for a bit to have the dirt come out and float away.

2wheelsx2
05-19-2004, 04:37 PM
Depends on the mitt. There seem to be some quality control problems. I often get 2 or 3 of them at a time, and one of them will shed. :eek: Major pain. Of the ones which don`t, I usually get 6 months or more out of them, depending on what I use them for. My own cars are pretty clean all the time, but if I do a lot of customer cars, my mitts take a beating, and I have to replace them more often.

MattZ28
05-19-2004, 04:46 PM
Not to hijack the thread or anything, but which ones are good? I prefer to buy local....

havabooz
05-19-2004, 05:11 PM
just bought 3 from autogeek...those any good?

andriver
05-19-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by MattZ28

Not to hijack the thread or anything, but which ones are good? I prefer to buy local....

I have bought them at Walmart and Target. I prefer the ones from Target.

MattZ28
05-20-2004, 05:01 PM
Thanks!

Spilchy
05-20-2004, 06:02 PM
I own the black sheepskins from CMA (no longer available)

Superior construction compared to the Target, Costco and Viking (all of which I own)

I wash with it weekly except winter for 2 years now with no issues. BARELY any shedding and it is super plushy - you can`t see the hide when wet unlike the others.

I NEVER wash in the washing machine and NEVER use detergent. I wash by hand with cold water and car wash soap and rinse real, real well. When done, I can easily turn it inside out and let the hide dry outside in the shade. When fully dry I turn it right side out and put away.

MattZ28
05-20-2004, 06:45 PM
I`ll go pick up one from target tomorrow.....or should I get a MF? I`m ordering a few towels anyways. Does the sheepskin wash mitt cause swirls at all?

Thanks

Matt

Spilchy
05-20-2004, 06:51 PM
I have found that most any mitt causes some level of marring.

However, the sheepskin greatly reduces the chances when used with the proper technique - 2 bucket method working from the top down, letting the mitt glide and rinsing frequently in the second rinse bucket.

If you have a Costco, they have a 4 pack for like $8. Or, Target has the Baja Sol ones that are decent.

I don`t like MF mitts. Maybe because I have an older one, but they are not very plush. I use for wheels.

Bill D
05-20-2004, 06:55 PM
I`m trying to get the hang of washing with Accumulator`s washing technique,combined with sheepskin mitts, chances of marring should be extremely minimal

trueblueblood
05-21-2004, 09:47 AM
Where is a good place to find some online that are good quality but not 15 bucks a mitt. I have some Viking ones and they work well but some will not stay as plush as others even after buying them at the same time.:mad:

fusionnv
05-21-2004, 10:10 AM
Originally posted by true blue blood

Where is a good place to find some online that are good quality but not 15 bucks a mitt. I have some Viking ones and they work well but some will not stay as plush as others even after buying them at the same time.:mad:

Yeah this is a mileage will vary product. Depending on water quality and usage frequency, mitts might last longer than others people`s mitts.