PDA

View Full Version : How is Leatherique compared to other`s

jsoto
05-19-2004, 11:12 AM
FWIW, my leather is in great condition.

I still have 1.5 bottles left of my Griots Leather Conditioner and a small bit left of the Pinncale. I expect it would take me another 1.5-2 years to finish what I have now.

Out of the the leather conditioner products out there, I`ve kinda setteled in on the above 2 for the leather conditioner products of my choice.

How MUCH more in terms of conditioner, product, etc if Leatherique when compared to the 2 products above ? I don`t necessearily need Leatherique now but if it`s a worlds difference and THAT MUCH BETTER of a conditioner, I would order a bottle to try out.

Bill D
05-19-2004, 11:28 AM
My impression of it is that it`s a deep cleaning and restorative type product. I have a kit on order now and hope to deep clean and reduce the wrinkles in my older car`s leather. I don`t think it`s really for regular maintenance. The products you have now seem to be appropriate for that.

fusionnv
05-19-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by jsoto

FWIW, my leather is in great condition.

I still have 1.5 bottles left of my Griots Leather Conditioner and a small bit left of the Pinncale. I expect it would take me another 1.5-2 years to finish what I have now.

Out of the the leather conditioner products out there, I`ve kinda setteled in on the above 2 for the leather conditioner products of my choice.

How MUCH more in terms of conditioner, product, etc if Leatherique when compared to the 2 products above ? I don`t necessearily need Leatherique now but if it`s a worlds difference and THAT MUCH BETTER of a conditioner, I would order a bottle to try out.

From the reading i think they have three main products, the filler, the restorer and the cleaner. Griots I saw has a restorer it looks similar and sounds simalar to wat leatherquie does. But remember the thing about Griots, u can return it later on. So if you feel you are not happy with them then return them both.

togwt
05-19-2004, 01:38 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

A three step process, comprising; Cleaning, Conditioning and UV radiation protection

a) Cleaning- apply a cleaning solution (Water /Woolite or Dreft 6:1 ratio or stronger) on to an applicator pad and apply to one area at a time (i.e. a seat back). Gently agitate the surface with a boar’s hair cleaning brush. This removes stubborn grime and will not harm the leather. Use a clean, damp Microfiber towel to rinse the leather. Stubborn stains- dependent upon the leathers condition or how dirty it is consider a leather-cleaning product. (Leatherique’s Prestine Clean or Croit’s Leather Cleaner)

b) Maintenance- recommend a preventative maintenance routine three to four times a year, once prior to the winter season to prevent cold temperatures cracking the leather, and once before the heat of the summer to prevent deterioration and shrinkage by heat, which result in continued cracking of leather. In addition to regular cleaning, leather requires replacement of natural oils; Collagen-based products restore the lost moisture and maintain it’s natural flexibility. The smell of leather comes from oils evaporating out of the hide. Once every 30-60 days, Arizona, Florida and Texas, especially in summer, for northern climates between 90-120 days, use a leather conditioner to restore these natural oils and keep the leather soft and supple. (Criot’s, Autoglym or Zymol Treat leather cleaners are good maintenance product)

c) UV Protection- you should consider additional sunscreen protection (especially if you own a convertible) Leather conditioners typically do not offer any UV screening. The best solution is to alternate between a leather conditioner and a UVR Protectant. One month use a conditioner to keep the leather healthy and supple. On alternate months mist and wipe the leather with a UV protectant. After application allow 60 minutes for product to cure, then using a 100% cotton cloth lightly buff surface.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Nick T.
05-19-2004, 05:30 PM
In my experience Leatherique is an excellent product - - the best I’ve found for dealing with old and dirty leather, but not really appropriate for good condition leather.

I’ve recently started using Autoglym Leather Care Cream on both of my cars and I’m pleased with it.