PDA

View Full Version : paint cleaner question

theblue
05-19-2004, 10:49 AM
hello.. long time reader, who does not post much.

I recently purchased a white evolution 8. After I got the car I detailed it by using a clay bar on the entire car and then put a coat of NXT on it. Shortly after I noticed how bad my car get with brake dust and how bad the sides and back bumper gets.

I tried to wash off the brake/exhaust dust and that didn`t do much. My next step was to use some paint cleaner (that a friend had) and that did the job, the dust came right off and the paint looked like new again.

My question is how often is it OK to use paint cleaner on a car? If I want to get this stuff off of the paint I need to go this abrasive or I can`t get it clean.

Any chance the NXT might be partly responisible in that it encouranges the dust to stick?

What would you experts do in my situation?

thank in advance.

theblue
05-19-2004, 10:53 AM
picture of the car, just because:

http://www.nyfishbowl.com/~aaronb/pics/evoglen.jpg

Scott P
05-19-2004, 11:41 AM
A paint cleaner isn`t harmful to your paint. Most of them or chemical based cleaners without any abrasives. I`ve never seen dust attraction problems with NXT, but that doesn`t mean a whole lot. :D

havabooz
05-19-2004, 12:46 PM
wash your car regularly and you wont have to use paint cleaners as often

theblue
05-19-2004, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by havabooz

wash your car regularly and you wont have to use paint cleaners as often I`m already washing it twice a week... this brake dust + all the crap the comes out of my exhaust is insane.. I`ve never seen a car this bad.

I went to a local paintmasters, a store that sells to places that paint cars etc... one of the guys there took a look at my car and found a nice mild paint cleaner. he recommended:

1)that I clay the car again.

2)use the paint cleaner several times on the back.

3)use some race glaze

4)top with a carnuba wax.

togwt
05-19-2004, 01:48 PM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Paint Surface Preparation:

Before applying a polymer sealant:

Wash vehicle with a good quality car wash concentrate (1.0 oz concentrate /2 gallon water)

Use detailing clay (Clay Magic) to remove any imbedded surface contaminants

Remove any surface imperfections with a swirl mark remover (3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze p/n 05397)

Follow with a paint surface cleaner (P21S Paintwork Cleaner)

Finally lightly wash (0.5 oz concentrate /gallon water) and thoroughly dry the vehicle

These products will replace the necessary oils to the resin (paint) system

Paint Surface Maintenance:

Paint is manufactured from resins (oil) over time these oils leach out due to environmental conditions, rain and vehicle washing concentrates or detergents and need to be replenished for both lubricating the surface during the cleaning process and rejuvenating the dried-out paint. Using a polish that contains the necessary oils will replace the oils lost and restore gloss and depth of colour to the paint film surface.

The most important protection you can provide for your Paints finish is a planned regimen of care.

By following the recommended maintenance schedule will provide maximum protection for your automotive investment as well as ensuring a pristine appearance.

Washing- twice per month, alternate with Quick Detailing (QD)- twice a month, Cleaning-every five or six months, Protection-every three - four months, adjust timetable to suit climatic and driving conditions.

~Hope this helps~

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

jasonatv22
05-19-2004, 02:23 PM
Upgrade to ceramic brake pads. They cost more, that`s why they didn`t come on the car originally. Very little dust and still good grip and no noise. Just cost more, but worth it. My wife`s car has OEM non-ceramic, and they are the most dusting pads I`ve ever seen.