PDA

View Full Version : rust converter and body filler

chimp7
05-19-2004, 10:12 AM
i trying to repair a couple medium sized dents. some of the paint chipped off and there are also quite a few cracks in the paint. i started sanding and used a dremel on some of the lines of cracked paint and went down to the metal because i was worried water would work it`s way in. (not sure it that was necessary and maybe someone could tell me what i should have done, because there are still a few hairline cracks in the paint).

anyways, where there was bare metal i put rust converter on and was planning to fill with body filler and then prime and paint.

does filler need to be on bare metal or can i just lightly sand the converter and put it on.

never done this before, and i don`t expect it to come out perfect, just want it to look respectable and not rust in 2 years.

thanks a lot

Accumulator
05-19-2004, 10:25 AM
All the fillers *I* have used needed to be on bare metal, except for some light glazing putties that go over primer. I might just put the touch-up paint over the rust convertor and not worry about the dent. Hard to say without seeing it, but you sure don`t want the bondo to come off! If you`re not gonna get it fixed professionally, I`d worry more about the rust than about the dent. The convertor should work fine for that.

I have a few cracks and chips in my Jag`s paint, and I just keep it waxed with no problems (been like that for years). But it`s a garage-queen...On drivers, I often just put rust convertor in the to-the-metal paint chips and wax/seal over it without using touch-up paint. Seems to work fine (note that the chips are basically the same problem as your cracks- failures in the "film build" of the paint).

togwt
05-19-2004, 10:31 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

The rust is in the metal and to stop it propagating you need to apply rust preventative to the metal not the body filler

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

chimp7
05-19-2004, 12:21 PM
thanks for the replies, where i sanded it`s pretty deep, and i think would be too noticable and look pretty bad if i don`t fill it with something, i`ll hopefully be able to find something that i can put on top of the converter.

if theres anymore advice, known weblinks, or good product, i`d love to know.

maypo
05-19-2004, 05:38 PM
Check out this article. Hope it helps.:nixweiss

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=27

imported_kgb
05-20-2004, 07:20 AM
Before you fill that dent with body filler I would try and work the dent out first. Then you only need a minimum about of body filler. And I would get rid of the rust converter. Bare metal only or else that body filler is not going to stick good.