PDA

View Full Version : New with a couple questions

dreinecke
05-19-2004, 09:07 AM
I`ve read way too many threads here to now be coherent, so I need to ask a few questions.

I`ve got numerous swirl and light scratches in the red paint of my `68 Chevelle. It`s a base/clear combo about 6 years old. My first show with the car is in a week, and I`d really like it to look good.

I purchased a PC yesterday and used Meguire`s #9 Swirl remover hoping that would do a good job removing the problems. It removed a bunch of it, but not enough. I was using the white, supplied foam pad that came with the PC. I`ve got Autopia`s pad set coming (orange, white, grey), but was too excited to wait.

I`ve got rubbing compound, the #2 Fine Cut and the #9 Swirl remover onhand, as that`s all my local store had. Short of spending a bunch more $, which the `Garage Manager` has warned me about :bow should I use the #9 on the orange pad and get the results I`m looking for? I realize this is a polish, but I`m not sure how much more abrasive I`d want to be on this thing. I`ve only done a small part of the deck lid.

Thanks in advance!

Dinzdale40
05-19-2004, 09:32 AM
yea start with #9 on the orange pad and move up from there until you get them all out.....then use #9 as a final polish and wax it.

Jesstzn
05-19-2004, 09:32 AM
The rubbing compound may make more swirls than your trying to remove.

#9 is a bit abrasive but has oils and fillers .. you could try a more agressive pad once they arrive then wipe it down with rubbing alcohol/water to remove the oils etc to see how your doing.

I don`t know about the #2. I have it but only used it by hand some time ago on stuborn areas and not with the PC. #9 would be a struggle to lift any form of scratch.

You might have to bit the bullet and get some DACP or maybe the Menzerna twins sample pack.