PDA

View Full Version : Help me with my Imola Red M3

rcurley55
05-18-2004, 11:25 PM
I need some assistance with a new-to-me Imola Red M3. the previous owner did what he could to minimize swirls, but they are everywhere...

I also don`t know how much stock to put into the whole "german paint" article at CMA....

I`m tempted to go to the Mezerna family (IP, FP and possibly Glaze or even all the way to that jacket stuff).

But what`s this I hear about Einszett products? WG? NXT

I`ve done a lot of searching, but all it makes me is more confused, so I`m looking for something that will work great, is easy to use, and has a great track record - I`m not looking for the next best thing, but a proven winner.

With that said, I do have experience with my PC and products like BF, DACP, SMR, PS21, etc.

So, anyone want to recommend a winner!! I`m open to options...

Carl Anderson
05-19-2004, 07:40 AM
With my Jet Black M3 I have had excellent results using DACP (if needed) followed by #9 then #5 or #7 and finally P21S. I really do not see how you can improve too much on P21s. However, having tried Klasse on my other vehicles, I am getting geared up to try the Wolfgang twins on the M3 tonight.

LOTA OT
05-19-2004, 08:41 AM
Without knowing the severity of your paint defects, it`s tough to give absolute recommendations, but I am a big fan of DACP with a PC and a cutting pad. Won`t get the worst of defects out and you may have to go over panels twice, but I always seem to get predictable results. To get out any micro marring and for the final pop, follow up with a finer polish like #9 or the like.

I`ve also used the two milder Einszett polishes (MP and PP) with great success. They are much easier to use than DACP as they have some oils in them that seem to keep them wet a little longer. Really easy to buff off too. While those are benefits of the oils, sometimes they can fill in defects you are trying to remove. This is why I usually use MP for a final polish with added shine after DACP.

I`m sure you`ll get lots of input on Menzerna and other polishes from the others here, but since you already have DACP, might as well give that a try first.

As for the topper, that`s up to you, the look you prefer and the durability you require. I personally prefer synthetics like the Klasse Twins, but that`s just me. Eiszett Glanz Wax is also a great product.

Be sure to get some pics.

Michael

Jesstzn
05-19-2004, 09:51 AM
rcurley ... I have used DACP and also the Menzerna twins. I just did a red 2000 325i a couple weeks back and the paint didn`t seem to hard to me. It was in very good condition and I cleaned up a couple spots with DACP on a white pad then went right to Menzerna FP and on to Klasse twins.

If your talking swirls that can be seen in any light I would try Menzerna IP on a white pad first then move up if needed to a yellow pad .. or even to DACP on white. Then back down to take out any hazing if there is any.

If your talking more in the spiderwebs that are seen in sunlight then do what I did.

I have a VW and my paint was a lot harder than the BMW.

Have a look

Bimmer (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36799)

rcurley55
05-19-2004, 10:52 PM
THanks for the input everyone. The swirls are not severe (as in deep) but they are everywhere. The paint is also dull. Imola should look very wet - it`s just the kind of color it is.

I think I will do the Mezerna twins and top with PS21 for now or Blackfire.

I`m guessing white pads for both FP and IP or do I need a yellow or a black in there?

Thanks