PDA

View Full Version : Can AIO be used frequently for bug removal??

General Lee
05-18-2004, 10:39 PM
Because it is a polish,(AIO) can it be used say twice a week to remove bugs of the front end of the vehicle and not hurt the paint?

I find that it works well in removing bugs stains, but will it have a long term effect on your paint using it that much?

c.cmbrodbeck@su
05-18-2004, 10:48 PM
I don`t see it hurting anything but it has cleaners in it so you would have to follow up with whatever protectant you use after each use i would think.

-Chad.

dmatre
05-19-2004, 04:36 AM
For about 8 years, I`ve used AIO for bug removal. It`s been about the best thing that I`ve ever found to remove the baked-on bug guts that living in the Carolinas rewards you with.

I`ve seen no negative downside. I imagine that you`re concerned about `thinning` or wearing down the paint by repeated applications. I normally `spot-cleaned` with AIO on a weekly basis (through the spring/summer) on: `94 ProbeGT, `93 Maxima, `87 Benz 300TD, `99 Passat, and now `03 Benz C230Sedan. Both the Maxima and the 300TD were long-term cars (Maxima - 6yrs, Benz - 7yrs), and showed no signs of problems.

I still use the AIO regularly on the new Benz and the Passat (now 5 yrs old), and they both still look great!

General Lee
05-19-2004, 04:46 AM
dmatre,

Thats correct I am worried about thinning of the clearcoat but its seems you are making out pretty well using it all the time. Thanks

maecrispy
05-19-2004, 05:24 AM
Wouldn`t it be just as easy (and potentially less damaging to the clearcoat) to use something dedicated for bug/tar/sap removal?

Tarminator comes to mind as some autopians have found it does the job quite well. Most of the time, bugs slide right off but on the two occasions when removal was tough, Tarminator did the job just fine.

It`s cheap, too! :p

Autopioa reviews here:

http://www.autopia.org/review/censura.php?cmd=details&itemid=107

togwt
05-19-2004, 07:15 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

Klasse AIO contains solvent cleaners and a polymer resin, it is formulated for use as a one-step product, so in theory you clean with the solvent and it also leaves a polymer resin sealant. So it should not harm the CC surface with repeated use.

I use a ‘Safe Scrub Bug & Tar Pad’ (Autogeek PIN-900)

Experience unshared; is knowledge wasted…/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

Jesstzn
05-19-2004, 02:16 PM
You would think that Tarminator in a regular long term use would be more harmful than AIO if AIO is at all that way. Tarminator contains Xylene which is less than clear coat friendly.

General Lee
05-19-2004, 03:59 PM
I have tried various products and they work to some extent, but AIO seems to get the stains off other products couldn`t. Never heard of tarminator.. where can I find it?

maecrispy
05-21-2004, 07:30 AM
Not sure about MD but around here, most of the local auto supply stores (AutoZone, Murray`s etc...) carry it.

Stoner makes Tarminator so anyplace that carries Stoner would probably have it.

One place online is AutoGeek.

http://store.auto-geek.net/tarminator.html