PDA

View Full Version : Will 50/50 Alcohol Mix Strip Sealents Too?

SR77
05-18-2004, 07:14 PM
I have read on here that I can use a spray bottle of Isopryol(spelling?) Alcohol diluted 50/50 to remove old wax from the paint. I would like to use this method because i think it would be a faster way to clean the paint of old wax etc. before polishing, but I would also like to use the same spray bottle to strip sealents too. My question is, Will the 50/50 ratio Alcohol/water mix be strong enough to strip sealants too not just carnuba waxes or would I have to use a stronger ratio? If so, what dilution ratio would I have to use? And last, Is there a certain type of Isopryol Alcohol that I should be buying? Seems like there are a few different kinds avaliable and want to make sure i am buying the right stuff to use on automotive paints. Thanks for the help.

Bill D
05-18-2004, 07:25 PM
I used 50/50 up to 70% IA to strip Klasse SG during my detail. ( IA is IA, doesn`t matter the brand) I also used it inbetween the 1z polishes to get rid of the waxes they leave behind. Everything worked well and my new coat of AIO and SG bonded just fine. :up

PaUlzRiDe
05-18-2004, 08:48 PM
Hey I heard that deal about using alcohol mix to remove the old wax etc too. I used to have an acura with graphics on it, and i used it to remove the residue left behind when i stripped them off and the old wax to. However for what you really want to gain, alcohol isn`t really effective. It will remove the wax, but it won`t remove contaminates that have settled or found their way into the paint pores.

Here is a tip.....

Wash your car, then take a piece of the clear wrapper on a pack of cigarettes. put it between your fingers and the paint surface. Most likely you will feel a really rough surface. Take the wrapper away and run your fingers over it, it will feel smooth. Our sense of touch isn`t significant enough to pick it up without using something like the wrapper to amplify the imperfections.

Those rough feeling particles are contaminates that have breached your wax and/or sealant. Alcohol will not remove them, even after removing wax.

Here is what I have found to be the quickest and easiest way to get top notch results................ Wash the car with a strong soap like dawn dish soap. (this soap actually removes wax). Then take a clay bar (any old clay bar, because they all get them from the same place only 1 company in world actually makes them) cheap is fine. When wet, clay rub the entire car. You don`t need clay lube, water is fine.. Rubbing the entire car vigorously should take about 20-30 minutes. By now, no wax is left on the car.

Then use a good Pre-Cleaner Wax to remove any minor scratches, residual oxidization or residues left behind. I recommend Amino-UV`s Restoration Pre-Cleaner (fairly new product). After you use RPC, the paint will look extremely consistant and fresh, but not glossy. That makes a good foundation for a sealant. Then apply your sealant or polish.

You will have better results that way. Using the pre-cleaner just makes the sealant have a "better" bond and makes it last longer.

NOW, run your fingers over the car with the wrapper, guaranteed, your car has never felt so slick or been as shiny. Recently i tried the Amino UV Polymer Sealant on my Audi and the Poorboys on my wifes Honda. Though Poorboys worked well. I think the Amino UV works the best! Good Luck.

LouisanaJeeper
05-18-2004, 08:58 PM
it will remove sealants

Deanski
05-18-2004, 09:05 PM
For stripping wax/sealants: 3M Prepsol, Hightemp`s Prep-Solve, Akyra`s Klean Cleaner. :up

Those listed above will remove ALL wax and ALL sealant! No guessing if it was removed... it was, trust me. :xyxthumbs

Drink the alcohol, use a solvent designed for stripping wax/sealants, fillers oils etc! That`s your best bet!

There are tools/chemicals just designed for a specific job. Problem always is finding it and using it correctly.

Regards,

Deanski

Accumulator
05-19-2004, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Deanski

For stripping wax/sealants: 3M Prepsol, Hightemp`s Prep-Solve, Akyra`s Klean Cleaner. :up

Those listed above will remove ALL wax and ALL sealant! No guessing if it was removed... it was, trust me...

Well, it will *usually* remove it. When they fixed the deer-damage to the S8, PrepSol and other prep-solvents wouldn`t remove my UPP (formerly Platinum) over 1z MP. They finally had to resort to lacquer thinner, and they were *very* curious about what I had on there!

But generally, yeah, IA will remove sealants, the above-mentioned solvents will remove most *evrything*. Undiluted EFHI works great, too, but is probably a little hard on the paint.

togwt
05-19-2004, 10:11 AM
~One man’s opinion / observations ~

“Wash the car with a strong soap like dawn dish soap. (this soap actually removes wax).â€

And oil from the resin (paint) system, why use a dishwashing liquid when there are products specifically formulated to wash paint film surfaces, and to remove wax / sealants(i.e. PrepSol)?

“Then take a clay bar (any old clay bar, because they all get them from the same place only 1 company in world actually makes them) cheap is fine. When wet, clay rub the entire car. You don`t need clay lube, water is fine.. Rubbing the entire car vigorously should take about 20-30 minutes. By now, no wax is left on the car.â€

There is only one patent for detailers clay, but quite a few manufacturers and various materials are used (Kaolin, polymer, etc) You may find that plain water will cause clay to disintegrate. * I * would do a section at a time, wipe the surface to see if the imbedded contaminants have been removed, if so, move on to the next section.

Experience unshared; is knowledge wastedâ€/

justadumbarchitect *so I question everything*

SR77
05-19-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks for the replys. Bill D can you explain what you mean when you said, I used 50/50 up to 70% IA.

Also, Is 3m`s Prep Solvent safe to use on all Paints and does anyone think it would be a better choice over the Rubbing Alcohol. Will the Prepsol perform better then the Alcohol. I know there is a big cost difference between the 2 but if the Prepsol works that much better at removing wax and sealants, then i will buy that. Thanks again

Bill D
05-19-2004, 08:27 PM
I used 50% IA 50% water up to 70% IA different ratios thats all

Accumulator
05-20-2004, 09:54 AM
SR77- As far as I know (yeah, that`s a disclaimer ;) ) PrepSol is safe for all paints once they are dry. I dunno about waxes, but the IA worked just fine for removing SG, so I wouldn`t bother getting the PrepSol if you don`t have other uses for it (prep for touch-ups, for instance). *I* like having it around, but then, I, uhm, accumulate things...