PDA

View Full Version : How`s this sound?

MattZ28
05-18-2004, 04:12 PM
I`m getting my PC in less than 3 weeks. I`m going to hold off on waxing until then...

I`m going to get an orange pad, 2 white pads, and 1 finishing pad

I was thinking I would go over the whole car and get out all of the swirls and water stains with 1Z PP, then follow up with 3M SMR. Is it a good idea to use these together? Sal Zaino himself recommended that I use 3M SMR before Zaino. Should I try another product from the 3M line before the SMR? My swirls are very minor....you can barely see them, but I do have some water stains from sprinklers :(

So I was thinking,

-Wash with Dawn

-Clay w/Z18 (do while the car is wet?)

-Wash with Z7 (is this step necessary, or can I skip it?)

-1Z PP, or another product, feel free to make recommendations (with orange pad?)

-3M SMR w/ white pad

-Z5/ZFX

Should I apply Z5 by hand, or with the PC? Would I apply it with a bonnet, then remove with the finishing pad? I`ve never used a PC before so feel free to correct me on any of this, and excuse my newbie-ness.

Thanks in advance,

-Matt

imported_Greg
05-18-2004, 04:33 PM
I would probably go ahead and do a Z7 wash after the 3M SMR. I don`t think it would be necessary to wash after claying though. 1Z PP with an orange pad works well for minor swirls and it super easy to use. I`ve found that it doesn`t have enough bite for a lot of jobs though. It does have lots of oils and fillers so be sure you are happy with your work- maybe do an IA/Water wipedown after to make sure, Then I don`t think you will honestly need 3M SMR. 1Z PP leaves a ready to wax finish IMO. My steps would be:

1. Wash Z7

2. Clay

3. 1Z PP w/ orange pad

4. IA/water wipedown or Z7 wash

5. ZFX/Z5

I like applying Zaino by hand, but PC and finishing pad have yielded good results for many and it is easy to get nice thin coats. If you do want to do it, apply with finishing pad, remove with bonnet or by hand.

MattZ28
05-18-2004, 04:38 PM
Ok thanks....if the 1Z PP doesn`t cut enough to get rid of the water marks, a local store sells lots of Meguiar`s body shop line products, and 3M products....what would you recommend? The `66 Mustang has some pretty bad swirls too, and I`d like to get them out, so I think it would be better to have something stronger on hand just in case.

-Matt

Also, if I have 51% isopropyl alcohol, do I still have to mix it 1/2 with water?

04BlackAV
05-18-2004, 04:43 PM
If your looking for something a little stronger get some DACP.

MattZ28
05-18-2004, 04:48 PM
Is it true that DACP is hard to use? I`ll go tomorrow and see if they have any....

Any tips for using it to make it easier? What about 3M Finesse-It III?

04BlackAV
05-18-2004, 05:22 PM
I used DACP today with no problems.I set the speed to 6,white polishing pad and used the product sparingly.I didn`t have to but tried out some #80 after and then NXT with a finishing pad.

MattZ28
05-18-2004, 06:51 PM
Ok thanks, what about the alcohol question?